Verse/quote of the day - different on different platforms

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
SMBlaylock

Verse/quote of the day - different on different platforms

Post by SMBlaylock »

I noticed that the verse and quote of the day on my Windows 11 laptop are different from the ones on my Android 12 tablet. Is that usual, and does anyone know why that might be the case?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Verse/quote of the day - different on different platforms

Post by sbradshaw »

Is the current date and time correct on both devices?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
SMBlaylock

Post by SMBlaylock »

Yes, they agree with each other and with several clocks around the house that set themselves via radio signal from a standardized source.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

When you say Windows 11 laptop – on that device, are you using Windows Gospel Library, Android Gospel Library, or the home dashboard at ChurchofJesusChrist.org, to see the verse and quote?

Another thing to check might be your time zone, in case one of your devices is set to the wrong time zone, but manually corrected to the correct time.

Here's the home dashboard page, which I would expect to be the most accurate since it doesn't have to cache the verse and quote offline:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/my-home/dashboard?lang=eng
That would tell you what the verse and quote are supposed to be.
SMBlaylock

Post by SMBlaylock »

The Windows app from Microsoft Store on the laptop. Both devices are configured for my actual time zone, Pacific, and to automatically set their time.

I've realized what the problem might have been, and am embarrassed to have not thought of it sooner. I tend to leave the Windows app open all the time for quicker use if I want to look something up, so I suspect the Windows version had not refreshed for at least a day. I don't know how to manually refresh other than by closing and re-opening the app. When I did that, it matched with the tablet (which tends to close apps once I've used something else for some length of time).

Both my devices are now matching with the home page.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Nice! I would expect the Verse and Quote of the Day in the Windows app to refresh just by navigating away from that screen and back. If it doesn't, it might be worth sending feedback about through the app.
SMBlaylock

Post by SMBlaylock »

I'll do that. I'd at least like an option for a manual refresh to get things current.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SMBlaylock wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:54 am I tend to leave the Windows app open all the time for quicker use if I want to look something up, so I suspect the Windows version had not refreshed for at least a day.
During that time, does Windows go into sleep or hibernate mode? I'm just wondering if the app is failing to update on wakeup.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SMBlaylock

Post by SMBlaylock »

I'm not sure about that, since I just close the lid when I'm not using the computer (I have cats who get a bit rowdy). When I open the lid, I usually have to unlock the computer. Let me dig into the system settings to figure that out.

According to settings, closing the lid sets it to Sleep. That's apparently the default for Win11, since I do not remember changing that when I was setting the computer up (just bought it a few weeks ago). I'm honestly a little unclear on the distinction between Sleep and Hibernate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SMBlaylock wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:32 pm I'm honestly a little unclear on the distinction between Sleep and Hibernate.
Sleep pauses the computer. But it still needs power to keep the RAM alive. Hibernate writes the RAM out into a hibernate file to be reloaded when the computer powers up. Once done writing the hibernate file, the computer can completely power off. The big difference is sleep is much faster to go in or out, but requires power the whole time.

Then there's hybrid sleep - where it writes the file out like it's going to hibernate but goes to sleep instead. If the RAM is still good when it wakes up, it comes out of sleep. If not, then it un-hibernates.

Either way, the wake up event is recorded in the system log and I assume a signal is sent to all applications to tell them the computer has come out of sleep/hibernate.

While checking each time the app gets focus is possible, I'd hope the app would check time stamps before adding to the processing load by doing a query to the server.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library”