Clerk's Computer Must not be shut down?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
dlweger

Re: Clerk's Computer Must not be shut down?

Post by dlweger »

I also was under the impression to shut down our computers after we are done using them. However, recently, I also was informed to keep them on for updates. So I will be keeping them on. As for the power strips, I also wondered that myself. For protection of our equipment would it not be better to spend a slightly higher amount for a better quality power strip protection vs the cheapest and little to no protection? I will leave that to our FM's jurisdiction.
julz1958

Post by julz1958 »

I leave our Clerk's computer on from Friday lunch time until Sacrament/Sunday School etc has finished on a Sunday, then I turn it off completely. I figure that is enough time for whatever remote updates need doing to be done. We don't have UPS or the like, just cheap and nasty power boards that wouldn't protect a flea from a lightning strike. So, I take the only real option I have, send it to sleep mode at lunch time Friday and turn it off after Church on Sunday - given that I am 24 hours ahead of the US, I get 4 days out of 3 so it has to be a win.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When I was the STS many years ago, I did an inventory of "surge protectors" in my stake, and found that most of them were "power taps" rather than actual surge protectors. The actual surge protectors we had were also quite old, which implied to me that their MOVs were not trustworthy.

The only real protection you have against a lightning strike is isolation -- you must disconnect all power and wired network connections from all devices. That is quite difficult to do in every meetinghouse.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Clerk Computers”