2023 calendar not applying Daylight Saving Time correctly

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
andrew.olson

2023 calendar not applying Daylight Saving Time correctly

Post by andrew.olson »

Recurring events in 2023 between March 12 and November 5 are being automatically “adjusted” to an hour earlier than scheduled. This was not an issue in 2022, or prior years, to my knowledge.

I’ve seen explanations saying this has to due with the global nature of the calendar, and managing time zone is tricky.

I don’t buy it. This is clearly a minor bug. It should be squashed — quickly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 2023 calendar not applying Daylight Saving Time correctly

Post by russellhltn »

It's a long standing issue. I've been told new software is rolling out. Probably sometime after General Conference.

You can verify what's happening by switching your computer to a time zone that doesn't do DST (like Arizona). Apparently what's happening is the event is correctly translated when put in the database, but only the current time zone difference is applied when displaying all the events. It doesn't account for "local time" having a different offset depending on the date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mikeba

Post by mikeba »

The 1hr offset problem starting on/after March 12th also shows all day events spreading to neighboring days.

Hopefully Church IT/Devs can get this figured out soon or rollout the new calendar. It's super confusing right now.
20221008-church-calendar-issue.jpg
martyriker

Post by martyriker »

Following...
MLunt1

Post by MLunt1 »

Following this string - my sync to my personal gmail calendar bring the events in at the correct time, only on the lds cal are the times showing in day light savings time even though they are created using USA/Phoenix that does not change times for day light savings - this is a frustrating glitch :/
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MLunt1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:08 pm Following this string - my sync to my personal gmail calendar bring the events in at the correct time, only on the lds cal are the times showing in day light savings time even though they are created using USA/Phoenix that does not change times for day light savings - this is a frustrating glitch :/
Although the event may be in the Phoenix time zone, it appears the display is not. In prior versions, that information was retrieved from the member's computer time zone settings. I'm not able to affect that (at least not without logging out or rebooting). So I'm not sure how version 4 decides what time zone to use for the display.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russelltrapnell

Post by russelltrapnell »

My calendar is not posting correctly. Events that should be showing at 4pm are showing at 3pm. I'm in the MST zone with daylight savings. This happened after DST.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russelltrapnell wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 am My calendar is not posting correctly. Events that should be showing at 4pm are showing at 3pm. I'm in the MST zone with daylight savings. This happened after DST.
Do you know if these events created in Calendar 4.0 or an older version?

lajackson
Community Moderators

All day Church events displaying as two days in Member Tools

Post by lajackson »

The subject says it all. For several months now, Church worldwide events display in Member Tools on the actual date and the following date as two entries. I suppose this happens because I do not live in the Mountain time zone. Events with times display with the correct time in my time zone.

Examples include:
May 28 and 29 Worldwide Devotional for Young Adults Rebroadcast
June 11 and 12 Teaching Youth and Young Adults
June 18 and 19 Worldwide Broadcast on Sharing the Gospel
September 17 and 18 Worldwide Devotional for Young Adults Rebroadcast
November 18 and 19 Church Music Festival from Temple Square
December 25 and 26 Christmas

I suppose that means I might celebrate Christmas on December 26th this year. It worked earlier for Easter Monday.

Return to “Calendar”