no more classic maps

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: no more classic maps

Post by russellhltn »

See the post before yours. It indicates that classic maps is not coming back.

You can use the Meetinghouse Locator to identify wards, but I don't see a way to identify missions.

You could use Morman.org's Meet with the missionaries page. It looks like it will route the request automatically.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mpollmann

Post by mpollmann »

This is super disappointing. There are a lot of positive uses to being able to find boundaries for other Stakes, Missions, and Temple Districts. None of these things are a secret, and with a lot of sleuthing you can find them. I hope someone in tech at the church is working on some form of a replacement. This is really a step backwards. :( :cry:
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mpollmann wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:09 pm I hope someone in tech at the church is working on some form of a replacement.
They may well be. But plans and schedules are rarely revealed to the general membership. Another thing to understand is the customer is not us, the members. It is the department, council, or committee that sponsors the web sites, programs, etc. The ICS department works on instruction from outside their department, which is of bit differently from commercial enterprises.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

There are a lot of positive uses to being able to find boundaries for other Stakes, Missions, and Temple Districts.
As long as CDOL remains available to the local leadership (another question entirely), this provides the ability for leaders to access Unit, Stake, and Mission boundaries (I personally cannot see Temple boundaries in CDOL, but CDOL lists the Stakes in a Temple District so you could piece things together). Obviously this approach isn't as "useful" as Classic Maps, interactive maps are much better of course than having to download and then display individual pdf's for each and every boundary you're interested in. But at least it's an option.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:47 am CDOL lists the Stakes in a Temple District so you could piece things together).
This site also lists the stakes that are assigned to a temple, in case you do not have access to CDOL. It is not an official Church site, but it is very accurate and the Church is aware of it. I do miss classic maps, though.
https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aldixon wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:51 pm Over the past two+ years I have talked with thousands of people from all over the world and shared my testimony with most of them. I have giving out the mission office contact information to over 1,000+ friends. I know of over 30 friends who have been baptized and there may be many more that I'm not aware of yet. Using Facebook has been a wonderful way for me to share the gospel to any one around the world.

But I need to find the mission boundaries and the mission office contact information to continue sharing my testimony every day,

Is the another place I can access this information or is Classic Maps coming back?
You can share referrals in Member Tools now. It lets you enter as much contact info as you have and looks like it will direct the referral to the correct mission.
kcandreasen

Post by kcandreasen »

What a horrible thing to get rid of...it was one of the most useful tools I regularly used....
ronbburn

Post by ronbburn »

The removal of classic maps is really diasppointing. I work in an area office of the church and frequently look for units (stakes, wards, districts, branches, missions, etc.) all throughout the area. I know there ar pdf's in CDOL that I can use, but the interactive maps were much more useful. Looks like I will need to find a new way to get things done.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ronbburn wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:51 am The removal of classic maps is really diasppointing. I work in an area office of the church and frequently look for units (stakes, wards, districts, branches, missions, etc.) all throughout the area. I know there ar pdf's in CDOL that I can use, but the interactive maps were much more useful. Looks like I will need to find a new way to get things done.
Because you work in an area office, I would recommend passing feedback up through the area leaders or your supervisors. They may be able to provide something better for your use cases.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
edserr

Post by edserr »

When looking information on the new area to which one of my missionary grandsons is being transferred I discovered that the boundaries of all kinds of wards can be seen in meetinghouse locator, along with contact information for serving bishops and branch presidents when one is signed in with a church account. Locate a candidate meetinghouse, click it, and then click wards using that meetinghouse. This is a fair though more tedious substitute for the classic maps boundary overlays. YSA wards, other language wards, and SA wards also show boundaries which often span all of one or more stakes. The remaining classic maps links go to meetinghouse locator. So I took the hint,

Return to “General Discussions”