past annotations

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
brofisher

past annotations

Post by brofisher »

I am the stake clerk and our stake president attended a CCM where they implied that he should not send in a new bishop request with anyone that has had a past annotation on their record ever. Our stake President and myself are unsure of where past annotaions are kept. I know that in "confidential member information report" you can see those in the stake with current annotations but wondering if there is a place to see annotations that have been removed. Also on a personal note....does this imply that they are not able to repent enough to be a bishop?
Thanks for any help on this
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: past annotations

Post by lajackson »

brofisher wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:20 pm I am the stake clerk and our stake president attended a CCM where they implied that he should not send in a new bishop request with anyone that has had a past annotation on their record ever.
At the local level you will only be able to see current annotations.
An annotation normally occurs because there was Church discipline.

As a stake clerk, you should be able to go into LCR and look at the recommendation for a bishop form and instructions. LCR has specific information about the requirements and qualifications of a bishop. There are also specific questions to be answered on the form itself. The information there should answer your question.
brofisher wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:20 pm Also on a personal note....does this imply that they are not able to repent enough to be a bishop?
I was once told that the First Presidency is hesitant to place a man in a position where he may be tempted beyond his ability to resist, even though he may have fully repented. There is always safety in avoiding any situation that may lead to transgression.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: past annotations

Post by sbradshaw »

There are a lot of requirements for someone to be called as a bishop – not all of them have to do with worthiness. Being worthy to hold a temple recommend is one requirement, but other requirements have to do with their standing in the community, habits and personality traits, or other things that may be doctrinal or pragmatic. A requirement to not have any past annotations on their Church record (if this is a current requirement) seems to be a pragmatic requirement. See 1 Timothy 3:2–7 for the policy that was used in the early Church, which likely influences the current policy.

(And for the policy for deacons, which has changed somewhat today, see verses 8–12. :) )
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Reports and Forms”