Legal name used on the records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wilkos

Legal name used on the records

Post by wilkos »

Hi I’m going to be getting married soon and my future wife wants to keep her maiden name and use my surname on the church records and be known as my surname at stake / ward level. Will she need to do anything so we can be known as a brother and sister with the same surname
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Legal name used on the records

Post by russellhltn »

General Handbook 33.6.1 states that the legal name is what should be used on the member's records. However, in the directory, people appear according to the Household name. As long as the clerk makes the household name your name, then that's how things will appear in the directory.

However, I think the RS class rolls will be under her maiden name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

wilkos wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:50 pm Hi I’m going to be getting married soon and my future wife wants to keep her maiden name and use my surname on the church records and be known as my surname at stake / ward level. Will she need to do anything so we can be known as a brother and sister with the same surname
Your wife can have a preferred name on her membership which could reflect your surname, while keeping her legal name intact on her membership. Only leaders would see the legal name and only if they are looking at her membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

garystroble wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:54 pm Your wife can have a preferred name on her membership
Does "preferred" include the last name? I didn't think it did, but I've been away from that for too long to be sure.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:04 pm
garystroble wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:54 pm Your wife can have a preferred name on her membership
Does "preferred" include the last name? I didn't think it did, but I've been away from that for too long to be sure.
Yes it can, for situations just like this one and also for others in foreign countries where the name situations are quite different than in the United States. There is a family or last name field in the preferred name boxes.

Return to “Membership Help”