Alarming Increase In Rejected Emails

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
phillipsac

Alarming Increase In Rejected Emails

Post by phillipsac »

In the last two weeks I have noticed an alarming increase in the rejection rate of our emails sent, through the LCR. I just sent an email to our Ward Council and nearly ALL emails (@gmail.com / @yahoo.com / @hotmail.com) were rejected. These are for accounts that we regularly send to and which regularly receive / accept our emails.

This is becoming a seriously problematic norm, rather than the exception. It's as if ALL the major services have suddenly black-listed us.

Are others experiencing anything similar? If so, is there anything we can do locally, aside from asking our members to make sure they white-list our email domains, in their respective email services?

Thanks,

AC Phillips
Ward Exec Sec
AC Phillips
Ward Exec. Sec.
Someplace East of Eden & West of the Bermuda Triangle
caillines

Re: Alarming Increase In Rejected Emails

Post by caillines »

phillipsac wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:08 pm If so, is there anything we can do locally, aside from asking our members to make sure they white-list our email domains, in their respective email services?
This is unlikely to help. The blocks are generally at the provider level (i.e. yahoo) not the recipient level.
I've taken to sending High Council emails directly from my email client to improve the chances of them all getting there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The issue with Yahoo/AOL is well-known at this point. Perhaps now you're getting the rejections instead of it being silent. There have been reports of problems with Gmail, but not consistently.

If your ward has been modifying the email address to prevent sending regular emails to members that don't want them, I'd suggest you make the change to the domain part instead of the name part. Continually sending to non-existent email can cause the sender to be blacklisted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
phillipsac

Post by phillipsac »

caillines wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:27 pm
phillipsac wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:08 pm If so, is there anything we can do locally, aside from asking our members to make sure they white-list our email domains, in their respective email services?
This is unlikely to help. The blocks are generally at the provider level (i.e. yahoo) not the recipient level.
I've taken to sending High Council emails directly from my email client to improve the chances of them all getting there.
Yes... I do that on occasion. Fine for smaller groups, but not really workable for regular, all-ward-member emails.
AC Phillips
Ward Exec. Sec.
phillipsac

Post by phillipsac »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:38 pm The issue with Yahoo/AOL is well-known at this point. Perhaps now you're getting the rejections instead of it being silent. There have been reports of problems with Gmail, but not consistently.

If your ward has been modifying the email address to prevent sending regular emails to members that don't want them, I'd suggest you make the change to the domain part instead of the name part. Continually sending to non-existent email can cause the sender to be blacklisted.
What have you changed on the domain-side that didn't get rejected as well?
AC Phillips
Ward Exec. Sec.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

phillipsac wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:45 pm What have you changed on the domain-side that didn't get rejected as well?
If you don't change the domain, then the domain's email provider keeps getting emails sent to non-existent accounts. At some point they quit trying to tell the sender the error and just bit bucket them. If the domain is non-existent, then it's the church servers that can't figure out who to send it to. You're not ticking off yahoo/aol or Gmail.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”