Can Individual Members Submit Expense Reimbursement Requests Online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Can Individual Members Submit Expense Reimbursement Requests Online?

Post by eblood66 »

bjelmer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:41 pm Members can submit their own receipts via the LDS Tools app.
To be clear, only organization presidencies, bishoprics and clerks can submit reimbursement requests via Member Tools. Others must send them to their organization presidency or a clerk via email (or give them physically).
bjelmer wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:41 pm The app only allows one receipt to be added per transaction, so if the member has multiple receipts, they will need to create multiple reimbursement requests.
This is true for the Members Tool app but the Payment Request option in the LCR website does allow multiple receipts per request.
waynejk

Post by waynejk »

I am a stake finance clerk and once in a while submit a request for myself. I get the message they are referring to and it will process the request. In order for the request to execute the EFT in must be approved by one of the Stake Presidency. After that the Stake president has to approve it as part of his calling. So it really gets two approvals. I've never had an audit show one of these requests as a problem and every audit I have a different auditor.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

waynejk wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:28 am I am a stake finance clerk and once in a while submit a request for myself. I get the message they are referring to and it will process the request. In order for the request to execute the EFT in must be approved by one of the Stake Presidency. After that the Stake president has to approve it as part of his calling. So it really gets two approvals. I've never had an audit show one of these requests as a problem and every audit I have a different auditor.
Your submission directly into the system at the Finance > Expenses > Enter Expenses tab is the first approval. The stake presidency counselor approval is the second approval. For an EFT payment the payment processing is complete and the system sends the payment request even without the stake president review. The stake president's review is not one of the two approvals required for the payment to be completed. It is the required review by the stake president that he is aware of the transaction. It is possible the transaction can be completed, or the funds deposited into your bank account, before the stake president does his review. Auditors cannot tell during an audit who made the two approvals without having someone bring up the expense in LCR to see who made the approvals. All an auditor can see is if the stake president reviewed the expense payment. That is all they are looking to see was done. Any further digging will show the process was not properly completed. In the situation you described the stake president was not one of the two approvers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

waynejk wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:28 amI've never had an audit show one of these requests as a problem and every audit I have a different auditor.
jdlessley correctly describes why there is a problem in this situation and also why an auditor won't see it without digging further. But if they are trained to dig they most likely will find such problems and write it up. Our stake had about 5 such exceptions spread across our stake during the last set of audits. During our audit review meeting our assistant area auditor confirmed that these should be considered exceptions. We're planning training for our wards and branches so they don't get tripped up by this in the future.

Our AAA did indicate that if this happens and a reimbursement gets submitted by the payee, then the unit should get physical approval signatures and then scan and upload them as part of the documentation. If this is done before the 2nd approval is done then that satisfies the policy.
jbutchholli

Post by jbutchholli »

Very interesting. all these replies and none of them address the question asked
jbutchholli

Post by jbutchholli »

Submitted by John Hollingsworth

I believe this is the answer to the Question submitted in block one.

Unit leaders and clerks can submit Church-related expenses by completing the following steps:

On a mobile device, open Member Tools.
Enter Church account credentials and pin as needed.
Go to the Finance menu.
Click Expenses from the menu.
Click the Add Button (+) to start a new expense.
Select the desired Payee from the list.
To add a payee, click on New Payee and enter information as needed, then click on Add Payee.
Select a Payment Type from the list.
Enter a Purpose for the expense. (The purpose should be as short as possible; if additional space is needed, please place the additional information—typed or handwritten—on a separate document and attach it to the transaction along with the receipt.)
Select a Category from the list. If the category is for a fast offering, select Recipient.
Enter the Amount.
Add other categories and amounts if applicable.
To add a receipt:
Click Add Receipt.
Upload a picture of the receipt or take a new picture of the receipt using your device’s camera. Review the picture.
Select OK or Retry.
Review payment information. Add additional payment information or receipts as needed. (If a more detailed description is needed, use a separate piece of paper to document the reason. This document could then be photographed and attached as additional support for the transaction.)
Click Submit.
lynnetterose

Post by lynnetterose »

I am a ward RS President. I am trying to get reimbursed for a ward expense. Can you please help guide me as to where I can submit this online?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lynnetterose wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:51 am I am a ward RS President. I am trying to get reimbursed for a ward expense. Can you please help guide me as to where I can submit this online?
The instructions for the mobile app are just before your post. To do it online via LCR:
1. Log in to your account on the church web page.
2. Click the "Resources" link on the right side (next to your pic) and select "Leader and Clerk Resources" from the drop-down menu.
3. Click on the "Finance" tab
4. Click on the "Payment Request" tab and fill out the form.
5. After you upload the receipt, click on the "Save" button.

If you need help, your local clerk or assistant clerk-finance should be able to provide personal assistance.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”