Bishop's wireless printer setup?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bishop's wireless printer setup?

Post by russellhltn »

As I understand it, the NoSplash is only needed if the printer needs to communicate with the internet. It's not needed if it's only going to be accessed by the local network. I'm guessing that if the splash screen isn't satisfied in some way, there's no DNS services. But that shouldn't be an issue for something being accessed by IP.

Keep in mind the printer's MAC address is probably different for wired then for wireless.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

hadleyj819 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:57 pm We have some wards who have resorted to buying wireless switches and plugging them in to the ethernet jack and then plugging the printer in with ethernet. My concern with that is security because the MLS computer is also plugged into this wireless switch.
These "wireless switches" may be repurposed wireless routers being used as a dumb switch. I've done this quite often. You just have to make sure the wireless portion of the router is turned off. Also, if these indeed are routers, make sure nothing is plugged into the WAN port.

If they are being used as dumb switches, then there's no added security risk.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russ2p

Re: printer responsibility FM TS or both?

Post by russ2p »

Brian_Olson wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:06 pm
Through the Tech Manager. I culled Church Support, turns out the printer is the responsibility of the FM group, so they are apparently working on it now.
I was reading through TS info and saw here that printers as something TSs are supposed to manage.

Image Hmm doesn't want to bring in the image via link so I'll paste the text below and attach a file of it.

TS Responsibilities
Staying current on meetinghouse technology products, services, and policies
Providing technology support for meetinghouse products, services, and policies to priesthood leaders, teachers, family history centers, and mission offices
Managing meetinghouse products
Computers
Internet
Broadcasts
Satellite
Webcasts
Printers and copiers
Coordinating with the FMG through the PFR to ensure that meetinghouses have approved and working technology equipment

:?: I wonder if anyone has seen elsewhere the division of what printer issues fall to FM group and which ones are TS responsibilities. I appreciate links to written resources.
Perhaps was this person on Church support not familiar with the current responsibility guidelines🤔

:?: More specifically are wireless printing set up and support should go to which group FM or TS?

Thanks in advance👍
Attachments
TS list of  meeting house items to manage
TS list of meeting house items to manage
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russ2p wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:59 am :?: I wonder if anyone has seen elsewhere the division of what printer issues fall to FM group and which ones are TS responsibilities. I appreciate links to written resources.
Perhaps was this person on Church support not familiar with the current responsibility guidelines🤔

:?: More specifically are wireless printing set up and support should go to which group FM or TS?
It's been my experience that printers are supplied and replaced by FM, but maintained by the STS. This includes making them visible/usable on the local network.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:49 am It's been my experience that printers are supplied and replaced by FM, but maintained by the STS. This includes making them visible/usable on the local network.
Yes, but typically the meetinghouse printer is just for being able to print from the clerk computer.

Sometimes the ward goes out and buys their own printer and then wants to use it's extended features. The STS may be on their own if they're trying to get wireless printing to work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

russ2p

Post by russ2p »

Thanks for the replies @mikerowaved and @russellhltn

Supplied by FM group and works with clerk computer hard wired, network or USB local is what I imagine FM would cover. I had an interesting time last night getting a unit's clerk office printer to work over wireless for them, but I may express to units this is not officially supported and is more of a nicety and have their ward TS work on it if they really want it. I'd like to find some of these policies in writing but appreciate the experienced views/opinions.
JasonULogan

Post by JasonULogan »

This is what I am going to try this week.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng
cds4byu

Post by cds4byu »

I have had the instructions from the Church, linked in the previous post, work for me to install a ward-purchased printer.

I think those instructions are correct.

Carl
sofyaeyers

Post by sofyaeyers »

Step 1: Locate your settings. Once turned on and ready for configuration, you'll need to connect the printer to your home WiFi. ...
Step 2: Link your WiFi network. ...
Step 3: Complete connectivity. ...
Step 4: Locate your printer settings. ...
Step 5: Connect the printer to the computer.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”