baptism/confirmation record lost

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
scottcharlespugh

baptism/confirmation record lost

Post by scottcharlespugh »

I am the ward clerk and have run across a couple of instances where a member says that they were baptized and confirmed several years ago, but there either isn't a membership record or it doesn't show that they were baptized. What can be done to find or restore those records?
Also, one of them passed away and the parents would like to do the rest of the ordinances.
Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: baptism/confirmation record lost

Post by russellhltn »

General Handbook 38.2.6.1 covers this. You'll either need a certificate or witnesses.

Depending on how long ago it was done (I'm thinking '80s or before), it might be worth checking with the church's historical record. I'm not sure what the procedure is now, so I'd call GSD to see what can be done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: baptism/confirmation record lost

Post by lajackson »

scottcharlespugh wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:45 am Also, one of them passed away and the parents would like to do the rest of the ordinances.
Temple work for a deceased person may now be performed 30 days after they die. This may be the best solution for this individual in this circumstance.

Return to “Membership Help”