Church Authenticator app no longer an option for two-step verification??

mrnonaustralianguy

Church Authenticator app no longer an option for two-step verification??

Post by mrnonaustralianguy »

In the Two-Step Verification section in the Church Account settings, the Church Authenticator app is no longer an option to set up as a two-step verification method. It seems like since the Church has recently started using Okta for the Church Account login, it’s been replaced by Okta Verify. I am only willing to put the Church Authenticator app on my phone, not any huge corporation authenticator apps like Okta.
Jeremy 🎶
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church Authenticator app no longer an option for two-step verification??

Post by russellhltn »

I'm a little surprised that the church made an authenticator app. They typically focus on things that are unique to them and not try to re-invent the wheel. With other authenticator apps out there, they may have decided to not "compete" and focus the development efforts on things that only they can do.

If you're serious about 2FA, you're going to need to do that with other accounts too, like your email. So, you'd need an app for that. Might as well pick one that can do both.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jeremynwest wrote:I am only willing to put the Church Authenticator app on my phone, not any huge corporation authenticator apps like Okta.
If that is the case, you will need to use the other available options for two-factor authentication. TOTP apps such as Google Authenticator, Authy, etc. are also options.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:TOTP apps such as Google Authenticator, Authy, etc. are also options.
How would Authy be set up? I only see Okta Verify App, Google Authenticator App and "Security Key or Built-in Authenticator" listed. Is it the latter?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:
scgallafent wrote:TOTP apps such as Google Authenticator, Authy, etc. are also options.
How would Authy be set up? I only see Okta Verify App, Google Authenticator App and "Security Key or Built-in Authenticator" listed. Is it the latter?
Google Authenticator is one of a collection of applications that use one of two time-based one-time password (TOTP) algorithms specified in RFC 4226 and RFC 6238.

Here is an incomplete list of clients that support TOTP (translation: ones I can remember off the top of my head):
1Password
Aegis Authenticator
Authy (Twilio)
Duo Mobile
FreeOTP Authenticator
Google Authenticator
LastPass
Microsoft Authenticator

For all of these, say that you're using Google Authenticator and scan that QR code inside the app.

Push can only be done with Okta Verify, but all of the apps listed above will generate TOTP codes.
brandonm35

Post by brandonm35 »

I originally setup my Church Website Profile with my personal email, then once I was put in as the Executive Secretary I created a new email using the name of the Ward instead and changed the email on my profile to that email address.
this was all done years ago, I got an email this evening that appears to be from the Church "Church Account <no-reply@ChurchofJesusChrist.org>" that is shown below and attached is a screenshot.

is this something actually from the Church cause this change in email address to the current email address in my profile was made a number of years ago already, it seems funny that I would be getting a notification like this years after I made the change myself. I received the email at the original email address i had in my profile so technically I don't know how it got sent there when it should've been sent to the new email address I have on my profile currently

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Notice of email address change
Hi Brandon,
A change to your email address was requested. You will no longer receive email from Okta at this address, (Email address removed for privacy); all future email will be sent to (Email address removed for privacy).
If you did not make this request, please contact your system administrator immediately:
Go to your Sign-in Help page. Then click the Request help link.

This is an automatically generated message from Okta. Replies are not monitored or answered.
Attachments
Okta email.jpg
jazzkat

Post by jazzkat »

I just received the exact same message from Okta under similar circumstances. My email address change was also made a few years ago. The one unusual part of the email is that it says, "Hi Mervin V." That is not my name.

Return to “Mobile Applications”