New Ideas

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

imajar

New Ideas

Post by imajar »

Hello Everybody!

The gospel library beta app for windows 8.1 is awesome! If you have any ideas, submit them here.

To kick things off, here is my idea:
When studying, or in Sunday school, institute, etc, it is often necessary to be able to switch back and forth between scriptures. In the android version of gospel library, you are able to do this using "screens" (or tabs as I call them).

My idea, however, is a variation of this concept: It is to introduce layers (or folders) to create groups of tabs (or "screens"). For example, when studying at home, I could have a folder or group of tabs that contain content for my personal study, or when preparing for Sunday school, I could have a different collection of tabs. Additionally, I could temporarily create a folder for an institute class to be able to flip back and forth between scriptures without having to muddle through all of my other tabs.

To see this execution in other programs, you could take a look at MS OneNote, which allows you to organize note pages 4 levels deep, or you could take a look at app-tabs in Mozilla firefox, which does the exact thing I am suggesting for Gospel Library.

If this idea is considered, I would like to say, in closing, that in the android version, I am annoyed by how the "screens" auto sort by most recently viewed. It means that I cannot remember the location of the screen and have to search for it each time I need to open it. (for example, if it was in position 4 when I opened it, it moves to position 1, then when I open another screen, the screen that was in position 1 moves to position 2, and in this manner continues to move). I would propose disabling autosort and make it so that the user can manually move the positioning of the screens in the list.

Here is a picture showing one what this could be done:
Study groups idea.PNG
(69.74 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
What do you think? Any other ideas?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: New Ideas

Post by jdlessley »

imajar wrote:If you have any ideas, submit them here.
[Moderator note: By all means - post new ideas in the forum. I hope imajar is speaking of submitting ideas for Windows 8 Gospel Library being submitted in the Windows 8 Gospel Library forum and not this tread. Each thread should address only one topic. Each idea is a new topic and therefore should be in a different thread. Congregating many ideas into one thread makes tracking and responding to each idea nearly impossible and confusing.

Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread."]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

imajar,

Your feature idea has been passed onto the developer who is currently implementing the Tabs feature. I can't, of course, promise that your ideas will make it into the next release or that they'll be used at all, but we'll definitely be looking at them as we move forward with the Tabs feature.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
tigereye89

Post by tigereye89 »

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to share this idea, but I think it would help recent converts and current members a lot.

The idea is to, one, is to create additional calling 'responsibilities' (like job descriptions) into a concise bullet point format and easily accessible on Gospel Library. Thus, those being called to become a Ward Mission Leader (for example) can go and see a very accurate list of what needs to be done in said calling.

Additionally, I'd like to suggest this form (pdf) being emailed automatically once someone receives a new calling (if an email is available on their tools). This, in my opinion, would help ease some of the requisite training or figuring out period that can happen in many Ward's.
I hope this is the right place! And of course, I'm fully content with whatever the Lord's inspiration on this matter is.
My email is [email address removed] if you want to contact me about moving this idea to the right area

[moderator edit: removed email address]
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Please keep in mind this is a publicly visible user-to-user discussion forum. Most likely, nobody who can influence a decision on such a feature will ever read this thread. Sending suggestions via the Feedback link or button on the Church website or app is the best method to get a suggestion considered by decision makers. The service missionary who reviews the feedback report can send the report to the appropriate person or group.

Also, out of an abundance of caution, I removed the email address. It is usually allowed to post one's own email address, but it sounded as if the poster did not realize this is a public forum.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

The idea is to, one, is to create additional calling 'responsibilities' (like job descriptions).....
tigereye89, I'd also point you to this Forum thread which more specifically discussed this same idea:
Callings - Job Descriptions
The thread doesn't really provide an answer to your question, but if you wanted to continue the discussion, that's probably a better place for this specific thought.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”