Split or shared records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
crichton007

Split or shared records

Post by crichton007 »

We have a couple of young men who split their time evenly with their father and mother so they reside in our boundaries half of the year. Someone mentioned that there might be a way to share their records with the other ward they reside in. I’ve been searching the internet and this forum and I have not been able to find a way to do this. Is it possible to share or split the records with their other ward?
Biggles

Re: Split or shared records

Post by Biggles »

In theory their records should be sent to the other ward after 3 months. However the ward that doesn’t have their records, could use the Manage Out-of-Unit Members option found under the Membership tab in LCR. The information at the top of the section states :-
Manage Out-of-Unit Members allows a unit to request and access limited membership information for those whose membership records are not assigned to the ward, but attend regularly because of a leadership assignment in the unit or a family situation.”
This should cover the situation described!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:01 am In theory their records should be sent to the other ward after 3 months
Actually, it should be moved if it's going to be longer than 3 months, but there are exceptions. See General Handbook 33.6.4.

If the children are spending 6 months at a time in each ward, in my personal opinion, I'd think moving is the right choice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Another good reason to consider moving records, is that the Bishop cannot perform interviews or oversee ordinances with the youth unless the records reside in that ward (GHB 33.6.5). Theoretically you could have the other ward's Bishop (or assigned counselor) perform the annual and semi-annual interviews, give temple recommend interviews, and oversee Priesthood ordinances, during those six months the records are in his ward. But in practice, youth need to have the on-demand availability of their Bishop for counseling and other needs. So although a bit of book-keeping, I agree that moving records each time and creating out-of-unit membership records in the other ward each time, is a good practice.

Return to “Membership Help”