Contradiction in Registration Process

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
NickVrvilo

Contradiction in Registration Process

Post by NickVrvilo »

I'm our branch clerk, and I was trying to help one of our members create or recover his account today.

He doesn't remember ever creating a church account, so we decided to try creating a new account first.

I copied his MRN and DoB directly from the membership records (logged into my church account and accessed the member list for the branch). However, after hitting Search, it gives us this error:
Either the MRN and/or Birth Date is not valid or the account already exists.
So obviously I assumed that meant the account already exists. The next step then is obviously to attempt to recover his existing account.

However, when we go to the account recover page and enter his MRN (again, copy/pasted directly from the member list), we get this error:
An account matching the information you entered was not found. Please double-check to ensure your data was entered correctly.
So, either his MRN and DoB as copied directly from LCR are wrong, or he actually has an account even though the account recovery page says there's no account associated with his MRN.

Pretty confused right now... I think our only option is to call support, but I wanted to know if anyone else had seen these contradictory errors before.

Has anyone seen this issue before?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Contradiction in Registration Process

Post by russellhltn »

First, I'd verify the information is being entered in the correct format. It might be something simple like that.

Second, what is the member's calling? Certain positions may not allow recovery of the account. You'd have to give them the number for Global Services.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
NickVrvilo

Post by NickVrvilo »

We both verified that the information matched multiple times. I copy-pasted his MRN, so that was definitely correct.

Since this brother doesn't currently have a calling, I don't think his account has any special restrictions.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem. Sounds like that's a no. I guess our only option is to call church account support and see what they can do to straighten it out.
destriboisjoseph

Post by destriboisjoseph »

Hi Nick,

I actually do have the same problem for a member trying to recover her account, which is very weird.
Did you find your solution? I'll contact Global Support.

Thanks,
Joseph
johntepait

Post by johntepait »

I also encounter this kind of problem right now and she can't access her missionary portal because of this. If anyone of you finds the solution for this, please reply.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

johntepait wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:24 pm I also encounter this kind of problem right now and she can't access her missionary portal because of this. If anyone of you finds the solution for this, please reply.
If the standard processes listed earlier in this thread don't work, I wouldn't waste time waiting for someone to reply to this user-to-user mutual help forum (it could be some time before someone posts their experience). I would give the member the phone number to the Global Service Department to get it sorted out. The member must call - they won't work with anyone but the member on their personal account.
NickVrvilo

Post by NickVrvilo »

I don't have a solution for this yet. I plan to have this brother call Member Support, but I'm going to have to ask the missionaries to set up a time to help him with it, because he doesn't speak much English. I figured we'd just have to call support, but I was curious if anyone else had seen this issue before and already knew the cause. When/if I get to the bottom of this, I'll post another update.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

NickVrvilo wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:54 pm I'm going to have to ask the missionaries to set up a time to help him with it, because he doesn't speak much English.
What language does he speak? One of the first questions on the phone menu is the language.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jpoona

Post by jpoona »

My friend has the same problem. I am the stake temple and family history consultant and am unable to fix her login. She has a temple recommend so her membership record number is correct. However, family search will not let me use the MRN to access the account attached to it to see what is wrong.
Trying to access the account the computer says already exists is impossible. However, because it says an account already exists, we are locked out of every means to see which phone number and email are attached to her account.
There needs to be a phone number so I can speak to a real person who has the authority to fix this.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jpoona wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:53 am There needs to be a phone number so I can speak to a real person who has the authority to fix this.
Your friend can get the Global Service Department (GSD) number from their ward clerk. They will need to speak with the support person since they will only talk to the account holder.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Church Account”