Reimbursment overpayment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Reimbursment overpayment

Post by eblood66 »

wallaced wrote:(probably give the Stake Clerk a heart attack if he saw that pop up)
Only if he's a new stake clerk. This isn't uncommon and writing 'Budget' in the 'Other' box is the standard practice. I've never had an auditor bat an eye as long as it's obviously a refund, return of overpayment or return of excess of an advance. In fact, the instructions on how to handle advances used to explicitly indicate that the excess should be returned in this way. I don't have access to that part of the help center any more so I can't point to anything specific now but I think it still gives the same instructions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:In fact, the instructions on how to handle advances used to explicitly indicate that the excess should be returned in this way. I don't have access to that part of the help center any more so I can't point to anything specific now but I think it still gives the same instructions.
I can't find anything about advances. All I could find is Donation Categories. The last item is of interest.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Yes, that is the item I previously quoted here.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
wallaced

Post by wallaced »

thanks, everyone! I appreciate yall's responses.
schester

Post by schester »

In my MLS (USA) we clearly have a budget option when receiving a donation. I have used this method before for fixing an over-reimbursed amount.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

So I bought a webcam to broadcast Sacrament Meeting using G Suite, and sent my receipt to the bishopric, asking them to reimburse me. They did it twice. So I wrote a check for the amount of the over-payment, and we did a special deposit. In MLS, I selected the Budget - Administration category.

In LCRF, the Donation Detail clearly shows Budget Administration. However, when I generated a YTD Donor Statement of Contributions for myself, the amount is shown under Other Categories. I suppose that is OK, since most "Other" donations are not tax-deductible.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rdscofield

Post by rdscofield »

The member could cross out "other" and write budget and then notate on the slip that it is for an overpayment. When we do tithing on the computer, there is an area for budget with a dropdown. Our overpayment is from the primary. Primary is not on the dropdown but other categories are there. Then I can transfer from one budget category to primary. I think that will work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rdscofield wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 pm Primary is not on the dropdown but other categories are there.
Prior to the discontinuation of the Other:AMFA category in September, 2022, a budget category expense over-payment could be directly deposited into the budget category.

After the discontinuation of the Other:AMFA category there was a new implementation. Now, with the exception of Administration, Miscellaneous, and FSY, a budget category will not show in the Budget drop-down list-box unless the category has a subcategory. For the purpose of a budget expense over-payment advance with a return of excess payment a subcategory can be created to make the return of over-payment. In the example of an over-payment from the Primary category a subcategory in the Primary category such as 'Expense Over-payments' can be used. Any deposit made in a budget category subcategory will be flagged as not a donation, or not tax exempt, and will not appear on the donor's year end donor statement.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jakekleiner1

Post by jakekleiner1 »

And would the member who received the overpayment still use a tithing donation slip and enter the amount next to Other? We had one occur this week and as a new bishopric we aren’t sure how the member should repay the funds.

I get that once we receive the funds, we can allocate it to the category it came from (in this case, YW) and we’d create a sub-category for Reimbursement Overpayment. But how should the member pay that back?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jakekleiner1 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:35 am And would the member who received the overpayment still use a tithing donation slip and enter the amount next to Other? We had one occur this week and as a new bishopric we aren’t sure how the member should repay the funds.

I get that once we receive the funds, we can allocate it to the category it came from (in this case, YW) and we’d create a sub-category for Reimbursement Overpayment. But how should the member pay that back?
Yes, they would use a donation slip as normal and would enter the amount by Other and include something like 'Return of budget overpayment' in the Other box.

I'm not sure that there is any advantage in adding a sub-category for Reimbursement Overpayment. I would just put it back in the category it came from.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”