Missing Online Donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bshup

Missing Online Donations

Post by bshup »

Our ward is in the midst of tithing declaration. We have had several members tell us that they have made tithing payments online, but their printed donation records show no donations recorded. Our Bishop is still marking them as full tithe payers (as declared by the members), but I am wondering if there is any way for me (as the local finance clerk) to find these missing donations? I could see this becoming an issue for some individuals, especially come tax time.
bshup

Re: Missing Online Donations

Post by bshup »

To clarify: I print the individual donation records on the day they come in for their tithing declaration interview to be sure it is the most recent report possible.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bshup wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:42 pm We have had several members tell us that they have made tithing payments online, but their printed donation records show no donations recorded.
If the login they used doesn't have their MRN associated with it, you won't see it. They would also have to have their membership record in your ward, otherwise you'd only see the donations they made directly to the ward. There's also a possibility they're showing up, but under a different name (such as the spouse's name).

Also be aware that donations made via philanthropies, (such as distributions from investment accounts) are not likely to show up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

If they made tithing donations online, they they should be able to login to their account and show you their online donation history.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

It sounds like these members are expecting their online donations to show up, in which case I'd suggest either of the previous ideas to help shed light on what's actually happening.

But just for awareness, there are some members who for personal reasons make donations directly to Church HQ, in which case their donations are not visible to the local units. Sometimes those members are quite private about this, and might state they've done online donations but not provide details. In those cases the Bishop generally takes them at their word, since he cannot see evidence of their tithing payments. It doesn't seem like your members fall into this category, but it's good to be aware that this is "a thing" ;)
bshup

Post by bshup »

Yeah they have said they pay online, and Bishop took them at their word. I was just curious why I'm not seeing those donations on my end. I was mainly worried about it for tax documents next month. But then again, I suppose those are available on the online portal as well. I hadn't considered that their online login might not be linked to their membership numbers. Thanks for the replies!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The MRN is what ties everything together. The MRN on the account and the MRN on whatever you're doing the report on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

If members check the box in settings under donations on-line which says "My financial statements do not need to be printed by my Ward." then the ward will not get a pdf of their year to date or year end donations. The intent of checking that box is for the members to view and/or print their statements from the web page.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If the MRN is present in both places, the ward should still see the online donation, though.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”