windows 10 and gospel link 2001

Discussions around the Gospel Library application for Windows for Desktop and Mobile

Moderator: BowmanDH

espleyj

windows 10 and gospel link 2001

Post by espleyj »

Is there a way to install and use my old Gospel Link 2001 disks with my new Windows 10 computer?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: windows 10 and gospel link 2001

Post by jdlessley »

If it does not install or run properly in Windows 10 you can install it in compatibility mode for the operating system the software was designed to run on. Since the last release of Gospel Link 2001 was in 2010 before it went online you could try the compatibility mode for Windows XP, Vista, & 7. Any of those should work. The instructions on how to use compatibility mode in Windows 10 can be found by doing an online search. The first one I came across is the one found here.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

megreen wrote:Now I would like to find a way to load everything onto my local hard drive so I can access everything without using CDs.
Does anyone know how to install and run GospeLink with all files on the local hard drive so CDs are unnecessary?
Thanks!
You should be able to create an "ISO" image file from each CD (search the internet for ISO file from a CD) on the computer. Then there is software that will mount the image so your computer sees it as a CD even though the data is on the HDD (search the interned for Virtual CD Drive).

Your mileage may vary and you might prefer to seek assistance from someone experienced in doing this.
dcharlespyle

Post by dcharlespyle »

None of these above suggestions work, unfortunately. No compatibility settings exposed to the typical user will work to get the program to run and stay running long enough to have the application show content on screen. What I finally had to do was to use Hyper-V to create a virtual machine and install a licensed copy of Windows XP into it.

After that, I installed GospeLink 2001. I'm sure the same can be done using Virtual Box or VMWare Player. Sadly, it ran best in Windows XP Mode on Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7, but Microsoft did away with Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode, and no longer support it.

And while I have gotten a lot of old software to install and run in Linux, I have never been successful thus far in getting GospeLink 2001 to run in Linux. Recently tried to use PlayOnLinux and WINE in WSL. Those attempts also failed. It would install but would not run without crashing.

It even will install successfully on Windows 11. But it will not run long enough to see the program appear on screen. And only 32-bit Windows XP from my own experience. It will install on 64-bit but will not run for more than a few moments and never show the window of the app before crashing out. Similar behavior.

Part of the problem is that ActiveX no longer really is supported in Windows, and GospeLink 2001 depends upon ActiveX. If we can get around that ActiveX issue somehow, whether through compatibility shims or otherwise, we may be able to get it to run in Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Last edited by dcharlespyle on Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gospel Library for Windows”