Calendar 4.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
BrianEdwards

Re: Calendar 4.0 released

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'll just add that many of the Church developers and IT managers also have the same church callings we do, and experience the same frustrations we do when functionality is broken. This doesn't change the facts about how it impacts each of us, but I think it is important to maintain that perspective. From personal end-user experience, they live the same (most, if not all) issues we're suffering from, since in their home wards/branches/stakes they likewise cannot do the things they used to be able to do with the calendar (or send-a-message, etc).
in this instance, I believe you need our help
A reminder that this is primarily a User-to-User Forum, and thus anyone you're referring to in the "you need" statement is likely not reading these Forum messages. The best way to try and communicate something like this to the dev team, would be to use the existing Feedback functionality.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marcogaertner wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:54 am I get that it's hard involving outside help, but in this instance, I believe you need our help.
The work in setting up a sandbox, including the fake data is considerable. I believe they've tried that in the past.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scl1982

Post by scl1982 »

I still can't get access to the calendar... just shows me a continual spinner. Does anybody else have that? Tried different browsers and incognito mode etc to no avail.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scl1982 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:40 pm I still can't get access to the calendar... just shows me a continual spinner. Does anybody else have that? Tried different browsers and incognito mode etc to no avail.
It took about 30 seconds, but it did load.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
skiddlyarcus

Post by skiddlyarcus »

marcogaertner wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:54 am
Once people see that something does not work they will not come back once it is fixed
This is 100% true, and is my biggest concern. People are dependent on the calendar, and people will move to a solution that will "always work" and will not come back without being dragged.

There are a million ways to mitigate a security risk, and I am sorry to say that the current path is not a good one. I get that it's hard involving outside help, but in this instance, I believe you need our help.
While it's true that there are a million ways to mitigate a security risk, it's also often true that 999,999 of those ways won't fully mitigate the risk and about 999,995 of those ways would introduce additional security risk.
It's usually a very lonely decision to choose the 1 path that fully mitigates the risk especially if that means throwing out an entire code base and feature sets.

We are feeling the pain also, but I agree with the decision to do it the hard way, take the lumps, and re-build it securely (at least I hope that's what is being done).
amigodopovo

Post by amigodopovo »

I hope this isn't duplicative, but I'm noticing that events, especially multi-day events, aren't showing the end time and date. The event appears as a single point in time on the calendar. For instance, Girls camp shows up as an 8am event on July 10, 2023 and only when I edit it does it show me the end date and time is on the 13th. Is this bug being addressed? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

amigodopovo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:44 pm I'm noticing that events, especially multi-day events, aren't showing the end time and date.
Is this an event created or edited in 4.0, or is an event last changed in V3?

holmsro

Post by holmsro »

The previous Calendar version allowed users to obtain a link for pulling their Church calendar into personal calendars in Google, Microsoft, and others. I have not seen that option in Calendar 4.0. Does anyone know if the links previously created are still being updated?

Thanks to all who are working on the calendar, with all of the security issues and other constraints.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

holmsro wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:01 am The previous Calendar version allowed users to obtain a link for pulling their Church calendar into personal calendars
For a number of reasons, Calendar 4.0 was released without many of the features in previous versions of Calendar. Sync was one of the missing functions.

It is my understanding that sync will be added again, but I do not believe any of the previously created links are being updated at this time.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

People have been talking on this post about a 'floating feedback' option. I don't see this. I am using Google Chrome (the browser that has worked the best with the calendar for years). Is it a browser problem? Are they going to make this new 4.0 release work with different browsers? It would be good to know.
I do see a feedback option if I scroll all the way to the bottom of the calendar list on the left side of the screen.

Return to “Calendar”