Missionary Invoice question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Bruncl

Missionary Invoice question

Post by Bruncl »

I recently had a member request contact information of someone that can explain an invoice on their missionary funds report. Can someone help me point them to the missionary funds department that they can call?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Invoice question

Post by russellhltn »

That's confusing. If we're talking about proselyting missionaries (YSA), all the member should be getting is how much they've donated.

Is this for a senior missionary? I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where a member would be concerned about a missionary invoice outside of the bishopric or mission office.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bruncl

Post by Bruncl »

This is for a proselyting missionary. When the missionary returned the account was at $0 but a late invoice came in that the father is wanting to understand.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bruncl wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:01 am This is for a proselyting missionary. When the missionary returned the account was at $0 but a late invoice came in that the father is wanting to understand.
I believe the church changed the timing. Go back and count the number of charges. Odds are, you'll find this is the expected #24 (for a 2-year mission). If the mission got extended for more than a few weeks, there will be a #25.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:04 pm I believe the church changed the timing. Go back and count the number of charges. Odds are, you'll find this is the expected #24 (for a 2-year mission). If the mission got extended for more than a few weeks, there will be a #25.
I don't think you can count on exactly 24 payments any longer. The first months payment is pro-rated based on how many days in the physical MTC or in the field. The last charge is also pro-rated and I think will occur at the beginning of the month after the missionary has returned home.

So for most 2 year missionaries, I think there will usually be 25 payments (23 full month payments and 2 partial months) unless they happen to arrive on the first day of a month or return on the last.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:10 pm I don't think you can count on exactly 24 payments any longer.
Thanks, I'm remembering the way it used to be. Either way, I think we agree that looking at the mission as a whole, the expense is in line with what was expected. It's the timing that's causing questions.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”