Attendance

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
BrianEdwards

Re: Attendance

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'm assuming, somewhere the Ward Clerk designates which calendar weeks are RS, MP, YM, and YW and which weeks were SS.
The First Presidency letter on Oct 6, 2018, was pretty clear about the 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th Sunday schedules, without any exceptions for Stake/General/Ward Conferences. Of course each local Stake has discretion, but I would expect that it's generally true that most units are following this and no clarification is needed. But perhaps exceptions are more common that what I'd expect... ;)

One aspect I like is that the shared attendance calendar helps give a broader picture to individual organizations (and of course Bishoprics). So when the RS enters their attendance for sisters, they can also easily see the overall weekly attendance of those sisters. Given the fact that without a weekly class for the different orgs it can be difficult to identify trends, having this all presented together gives a better overall understanding of each member's attendance patterns.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:56 am The First Presidency letter on Oct 6, 2018, was pretty clear about the 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th Sunday schedules, without any exceptions for Stake/General/Ward Conferences. Of course each local Stake has discretion, but I would expect that it's generally true that most units are following this and no clarification is needed. But perhaps exceptions are more common that what I'd expect... ;)
True, but say it would be held without variation by the entire church seems a bit of a streach. And you still have those pesky 5th Sundays that are at the discression of the bishop.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Ipiu2

Post by Ipiu2 »

Questions regarding General Handbook 33.5.1.1
1. Where can I go to see that dates of the adjustments below? Stating the revised date was December 2021 on the section below?
2. Does that mean Elder and Sister ???, who travels for 90 % of the time for their callings cannot be counted in our local ward attendance?
3. Does that mean that a full-time missionary including senior couple missionary from our ward cannot be included in our local ward attendance?
4. Does that mean that member who serve in the stake who attends another ward cannot be counted in our local attandance?
5. Prior to the visitor tab being available, didn’t all the scenarios attandance above use to count in their local ward? Or when did they not officially count?

Types of Reports
Attendance Reports
Attendance at sacrament meetings and Sunday priesthood and organization meetings is recorded electronically using LCR or Member Tools.

Sacrament Meeting. Attendance at sacrament meeting is recorded each week by the ward clerk or an assistant ward clerk. The count is the number attending the meeting in-person or by streaming, including visitors. Ward members who are not present because they have another assignment or are attending another ward are counted in the ward they attend.

Sunday Quorum and Organization Meetings. Attendance is recorded each week by quorum and organization secretaries and advisers. Youth leaders may also assist in recording attendance. The count is the number attending the meeting in-person or by streaming, including visitors. Members who are serving in the Primary or as youth leaders within the ward are also included as attending. Members who are attending another ward are counted in the ward they attend.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

(1) I do not believe you'll be able to "track" individualized Handbook changes in the way you would like. For example, the Dec 2021 excerpt included in a previous post, is slightly different from the current (Oct 2023) Handbook language, but there's no way to go back and find previous iterations of the online Handbook and determine when or how often changes occurred in any particular section.

(2-4) I think the current Handbook language is quite clear that each of your scenarios does not permit counting them towards your local attendance, as they will (or at least should!) be counted as attending wherever they physically attend on any given Sunday (traveling somewhere, full-time missionaries somewhere, Stake assignment somewhere).

While it's often informative to try and figure out when things changed, with the sheer volume of changes the online Handbook receives, it may be best to simply try and ensure we're always aligned with current policy, instead of trying to determine at what point changes occurred and whether we previously were aligned or not.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As I recall, the rules for recording attendance were usually on the forms themselves, not so much in the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:30 pm As I recall, the rules for recording attendance were usually on the forms themselves, not so much in the Handbook.
Indeed the instructions for how to take attendance and who is to be counted as attending is at the top of the printed attendance sheets. For those using Member Tools to take or to record attendance and need a reminder of the instructions, the information is available directly from General Handbook, 33.5.1.1, by tapping the circled question mark at the top of the page and to the right of the form title. The information at the top of the printed attendance sheets reads the same as General Handbook, 33.5.1.1.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Reports and Forms”