Is there contact Information for the Church Missionary Department on churchofjesuschrist.org?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
laurajaneholley

Is there contact Information for the Church Missionary Department on churchofjesuschrist.org?

Post by laurajaneholley »

My stake president said missionaries with bipolar diagnosis are not allowed to serve proselyting missions. Who would know if this is correct? And why is it not listed on the application, like weight requirements?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Is there contact Information for the Church Missionary Department on churchofjesuschrist.org?

Post by lajackson »

I believe you would best discuss this with your bishop. He will be able to confirm the medical requirements for missionary service, and will be able to determine if someone with your diagnosis would be able to qualify medically to serve.

Your bishop will also be able to help you find opportunities as a service missionary where you could serve if your medical condition is not able to be fully controlled during your missionary service.

Medical conditions are varied and numerous and not as simple to resolve as, for example, a weight issue. I think that may be the reason they are not listed on the application. There just is not room for all of them. And most require evaluation by medical professionals, whereas is it much more simple to monitor a weight situation.

But again, visit with your bishop and ask him to help you understand your options for serving and the requirements, including medical, for service.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is there contact Information for the Church Missionary Department on churchofjesuschrist.org?

Post by russellhltn »

laurajaneholley wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:57 pm My stake president said missionaries with bipolar diagnosis are not allowed to serve proselyting missions. Who would know if this is correct? And why is it not listed on the application, like weight requirements?
General Handbook 24.3.3 outlines some of the requirements. I'd guess the real issue is if the condition can be managed without detracting too much from the work.

If this individual has come the leader's attention due to past behavior blamed on bipolar disorder, I can understand why they'd be reluctant to recommend them for a mission. Likewise, if the stake president has had bad experiences with another individual with the same diagnoses.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'd also encourage anyone with questions about what "disqualifies" someone from a proselyting mission, to read the materials provided by the Church about Service Missions. For example, Service Missions for Young Missionaries. In this pdf doc, the process of what a Stake President should do when he is uncertain if a candidate can serve a proselyting mission, and what the process is if a service mission is to be considered. The missionary department may have additional language in place that they share with a Stake President when he counsels with them, but this document is the best explanation I'm aware of for what your question is about, and only refers to "physical, mental, or emotional reasons" without mentioning specifics.

And I'd especially encourage careful reading about how a service mission is an acceptable offering to the Lord, and how as members we should always avoid referring to proselyting missions as "real" or "normal" missions. The Lord has made available wonderful opportunities to serve Him as a missionary, and it's a great thing for so many more of our young adults to have meaningful opportunities to bless others through their dedicated service.

Return to “General Discussions”