Sync LDS calendar with Mac (working) and iOS (not working)

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
krk22

Sync LDS calendar with Mac (working) and iOS (not working)

Post by krk22 »

Hello! I am having trouble successfully syncing the LDS.org calendar with Mac and iOS (via iCloud). I first set up the synced subscription calendar on my devices (via iCloud) about a month ago. Everything seemed to be working (Mac and iOS calendars seemed to be syncing and changes made online appeared immediately to my devices).

Since the 2.7 update to the LDS.org calendar, sync does not seem to be working correctly. I first noticed this when I was informed an event had changed times and that it was updated on LDS.org. I checked my device and it has not been updated so I checked online and verified that indeed, it had been updated.

After some investigation, it seemed that the sync subscription was not working properly. So, i refreshed the link, updated the subscription on my Mac. I have been able to get the calendar to show up on my Mac (albeit not consistently) but nothing is showing up on my iOS device. I can see the calendar listed on the iOS device but no events sync to the iOS device. I also cannot confirm that changes made online are syncing to my Mac.

Any suggestions on what I should try? Considering I have done almost everything apple would suggest (restart, turning iCloud off/on, etc) I am thinking this is an LDS.org issue which is not surprising to me. Any others who seem to be having issues with the sync/subscription on OS X or iOS devices?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sync LDS calendar with Mac (working) and iOS (not workin

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind the "9 minute throttle" rule. If your sync URL has been used in the last 9 minutes by any device, it won't work.

So when you say "changes made online appeared immediately to my devices", it suggests you are syncing quite frequently and may be running into this.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
krk22

Post by krk22 »

I was not aware of the "9 minute throttle" rule but that still does not seem to be the problem. It does explain some of the troubleshooting behavior I ran into but not the overall problem. I have the LDS.org calendar subscription set up through iCloud and set to sync every hour. Yet still, after several hours the iOS devices are not showing ANY events. Further, the iOS devices don't actually sync with LDS.org and so they should not trigger the 9 minute throttle rule. They sync with iCloud and iCloud syncs with LDS.org. So whatever ends up on iCloud should be showing on iOS devices (it was working prior to v2.7). The calendar name shows up immediately onto the iOS devices (suggesting that iCloud is working) but NONE of the events show up when prior to v2.7 they did show up (suggesting that the new LDS.org calendar version is possibly to blame).

When I said "immediately", I was more referencing the fact that sync was working as expected whereas now it is now (events not even displaying on iOS devices let alone sync).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd paste the URL into the browser. Unless you're under the 9 minute rule, you should get a ics file that has all the events you are subscribed to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bullockdental

Re: Sync LDS calendar with Mac (working) and iOS (not working)

Post by bullockdental »

My Church calendar has not been syncing with my Mac calendar for awhile now and I cannot seem to find a way to sync it. Did they get rid of this function? If not please give me instructions on how to do it now. I am using Mac OS 11.7.2 version. I really need this with my current calling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sync LDS calendar with Mac (working) and iOS (not working)

Post by russellhltn »

bullockdental wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:43 pm My Church calendar has not been syncing with my Mac calendar for awhile now and I cannot seem to find a way to sync it. Did they get rid of this function? If not please give me instructions on how to do it now. I am using Mac OS 11.7.2 version. I really need this with my current calling.
The feature is not currently working and we do not have a date when it will be restored.

Return to “Calendar”