Tools always defaulting to geographic (family) Ward

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
rduffin

Tools always defaulting to geographic (family) Ward

Post by rduffin »

As a YSA bishop 99% of the time I need to use my YSA ward directory within Tools on my iphone. Instead of defaulting to the last ward directory I was looking at, it automatically goes to my geographic (family) ward. Extremely annoying if you are an adult leader in a YSA ward....
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Tools always defaulting to geographic (family) Ward

Post by sbradshaw »

It could be annoying for someone in a regular ward who occasionally looked up other members in the stake if it remembered the last ward that was being viewed, so I'm not sure if keeping track of the most recent ward would be the best solution – however, I can see how it would be more convenient for someone in an out-of-unit calling to have it default to the out-of-unit ward. It might be worth sending in-app feedback under Help > Contact Us in Member Tools. They might be able to put in some code to default to the out-of-unit ward by default for out-of-unit leaders; or, they might be able to add a setting where you can choose what you want your default ward to be.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:50 pm It could be annoying for someone in a regular ward who occasionally looked up other members in the stake if it remembered the last ward that was being viewed, so I'm not sure if keeping track of the most recent ward would be the best solution – however, I can see how it would be more convenient for someone in an out-of-unit calling to have it default to the out-of-unit ward.
Actually, Member Tools stays on the last ward or branch you were looking at in the directory until you change it. So most of the time it is showing my local unit. But if I look up something in a neighboring ward, I change the directory selection to get there and it stays on that unit until I change it back.

I agree that for an out of unit YSA leader is might be good to have it default or stay with that unit. I am not sure how that actually works in Tools.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

It's a bit hazy, but I'm thinking I saw comments in another thread about how this might be an android/apple difference. I'm team android and Tools always defaults to the last viewed unit (and trips me up when searching for a member and then realize I'm in another unit...). I believe team apple has the OP behavior, and I'm not certain if the different behavior is due to oversight or perhaps limitations in one of the operating systems (and also uncertain which is the "desired" implementation from the developer's pov!)

Return to “Member Tools”