How to record youth camp assessments and payments

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
richardastevens

How to record youth camp assessments and payments

Post by richardastevens »

Is there an established way to record Ward youth camp assessments (including number of youth and cost per youth) and recording later Ward payments to the Stake?
richardastevens

Re: How to record youth camp assessments and payments

Post by richardastevens »

Is there a different or better forum for me to ask this question? We are thinking of creating our own method using spreadsheets if there is no established method.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There isn't an established system that I'm aware of for tracking individuals' payments for camps. General Handbook 34.6.2.2 discourages having members pay for activities*, so I think it's unlikely that a regular system will be created by the Church to track member payments.

*Not entirely forbidden, but discouraged.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:10 pm There isn't an established system that I'm aware of for tracking individuals' payments for camps. General Handbook 34.6.2.2 discourages having members pay for activities*, so I think it's unlikely that a regular system will be created by the Church to track member payments.

*Not entirely forbidden, but discouraged.
But Handbook 20.6.2 explicitly allows for it in the case of Youth Camps. It's a step between fully funded by budget and annual fundraising.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:40 pm But Handbook 20.6.2 explicitly allows for it in the case of Youth Camps. It's a step between fully funded by budget and annual fundraising.
It allows for it, but it starts out "If the ward or stake budget does not have enough funds for the activities listed below…" so it seems like more of an exception than a rule – and the Church doesn't usually dedicate as many resources to those cases. That doesn't mean it won't be added, I just wouldn't expect it in the short term.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:39 pm
russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:40 pm But Handbook 20.6.2 explicitly allows for it in the case of Youth Camps. It's a step between fully funded by budget and annual fundraising.
It allows for it, but it starts out "If the ward or stake budget does not have enough funds for the activities listed below…" so it seems like more of an exception than a rule – and the Church doesn't usually dedicate as many resources to those cases. That doesn't mean it won't be added, I just wouldn't expect it in the short term.
Ok, but I'm pretty sure they're aware that the exception is the rule more than it's the exception. ;) And since it's dealing with the handling of church funds, I'd think it would be fairly high on the list.

I'm getting the impression that whatever requirement there was for keeping these funds separate isn't as big an issue as it used to be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:40 pm Handbook 20.6.2 explicitly allows for it in the case of Youth Camps. It's a step between fully funded by budget and annual fundraising.
Yes. There are three ways of funding youth camps that should be used in the following order:
1. Budget
2. Participant
3. Fundraiser

There is also a need to track the youth FSY payment.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”