GPS lat/long in family search?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jeremiah15

GPS lat/long in family search?

Post by jeremiah15 »

FamilySearch is not able to capture GPS lat / long information for our Rescuing Our Roots project (BillionGraves). So far, we've been tracking stakes by their counties, because that is all BillionGraves can do without GPS lat/long. This is not very accurate because each stake shares a number of counties. We can't split counties, so we assign the county to one stake to avoid double counting. The result is that stakes like St. Louis MO look like they made zero contributions, which can discourage those stakes.

Is there any way we can get the GPS lat/long through Church channels?
mevans

Re: GPS lat/long in family search?

Post by mevans »

This forum is primarily concerned with the maps feature that's related to unit boundaries. I'm not completely certain of the feature you're asking about, but since you mentioned Family Search, you might be better served by posting your question in the forum for Family Search products:
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... m.php?f=57

Bear in mind that this is a user-to-user forum and church or Family Search employees do not necessarily visit the forums. I'm not certain how you could submit a feature request to Family Search, but some on that forum could probably help you at least submit your concern to be reviewed by the decision makers at Family Search.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:13 am but since you mentioned Family Search, you might be better served by posting your question in the forum for Family Search products:
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... m.php?f=57
I doubt if it would help much since it's the same group of people. I'd suggest posting in https://community.familysearch.org/
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If BillionGraves doesn't have GPS information, or if it has GPS information but doesn't provide it in a format you can use, I'm not sure if there's anything FamilySearch or the Church can do. BillionGraves isn't owned or managed by the Church.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:33 am If BillionGraves doesn't have GPS information, or if it has GPS information but doesn't provide it in a format you can use, I'm not sure if there's anything FamilySearch or the Church can do. BillionGraves isn't owned or managed by the Church.
However, the church is part of Rescuing Our Roots project. As such, you'd think there would be some behind the scenes support for this.

It might help if we had a better picture of what the problem is. Unlike Find A Grave, Billion Graves is built on the idea of GPS coordinates extracted from the photos of headstones. It sounds like the issue is trying to track submissions to the stake. But I don't know how that's being done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”