Clerk computer password policy

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
particalman

Clerk computer password policy

Post by particalman »

I have installed the Stake Clerks Computer for about 5 months now and last December, 2022, it asked to change the password. thinking nothing of it, the clerk did it and we filtered that info out to those using the clerks office computer. Now only a month later, it is asking for an password change again. I have several questions.

1. Is there a church policy on the amount of time between password changes to the Unit XXXXXX user account?
2. Is there a church policy on adding accounts to the clerk computer for admin use that is a local admin? (in case there is no internet IE internet outage, etc)
3. Is there a church policy on passwords for the church WiFi system (IE can you use the same password for the Lehi SSID as teh Liahona SSID?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Clerk computer password policy

Post by russellhltn »

particalman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:34 pm Is there a church policy on adding accounts to the clerk computer for admin use that is a local admin? (in case there is no internet IE internet outage, etc)
I'm not sure of policy, but I'm not following the logic. With the death of MLS (at least for the US), the computer isn't terribly useable if the internet is out. About all you can do is write/edit local documents. What would be the purpose that they'd need admin rights?

particalman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:34 pm Is there a church policy on passwords for the church WiFi system (IE can you use the same password for the Lehi SSID as teh Liahona SSID?
You can start with the same password, but it will automatically deactivate Lehi if it's not changed every 90 days.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

particalman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:34 pm 1. Is there a church policy on the amount of time between password changes to the Unit XXXXXX user account?
When that happened to PCs in our stake, I went in and changed the policy for passwords to never expire. Done.

particalman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:34 pm
2. Is there a church policy on adding accounts to the clerk computer for admin use that is a local admin? (in case there is no internet IE internet outage, etc)
I have a local admin account on all the clerk PCs called "StakeAdmin". The wards select their own passwords for their PCs, but I can always get in through the StakeAdmin account to do maintenance or troubleshooting.

particalman wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:34 pm 3. Is there a church policy on passwords for the church WiFi system (IE can you use the same password for the Lehi SSID as teh Liahona SSID?
That kind of defeats the purpose of having 2 SSIDs. Typically when Lehi gets activated, it's because you've disabled Liahona to preserve bandwidth for things like webcasting. Other ward leadership in the building can use Lehi, but not the main congregation. Yes, you'll have to prearrange a PW for the other wards still in the building. Lehi is meant to be temporary. In my stake, we've never had the need to enable it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Several clerks are calling to say that there are new logins on their clerk computers for which they do not know the passwords. I have told them to call the GSD and find out how to get into their computers.

Is anyone else seeing this? My administrator login is also gone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Where the logins "Unit xxxxxx", "localclerk" or something else? I checked a few machines tonight, they all seem to have "Unit xxxxxx" logins.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:25 am Where the logins "Unit xxxxxx", "localclerk" or something else? I checked a few machines tonight, they all seem to have "Unit xxxxxx" logins.
The Unit xxxxxx passwords no longer work. Another administrative account that I used as STS to help in these circumstances is no longer present on the machine. There is a new account that appears to be some type of Church support account.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Wow. I haven't seen that. I have to wonder if another policy intended for workforce escaped into the Unit computers.

Return to “Clerk Computers”