Member Tools App Login Error - SOLVED

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
jmcbjccluff

Member Tools App Login Error - SOLVED

Post by jmcbjccluff »

I was unable to login to the Member Tools App on my iPad after one of the updates, even though my Username and Password would let me login to the church website online and view the ward directory. I finally figured out that my password had to be changed to 12 characters (even though it worked online) to be able login to the Member Tools App. Prior to changing my password to 12 characters, I would just get a login error with no explanation as to what the problem was. Hope this helps someone else avoid the frustration I had trying to login to the app.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Member Tools App Login Error - SOLVED

Post by russellhltn »

By chance, in changing the password, did you eliminate a non-alphanumeric character? (Not a letter or a number)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jmcbjccluff

Post by jmcbjccluff »

No, my previous password was only letters and numbers, but was less than 12 characters previously.
iimandylam

Post by iimandylam »

Thanks for the tip. This was driving me crazy. I had 10 digit alphanumeric password with no special characters. Log in on website no problem. Just in tools it said wrong username or password. Added 6 numbers to it to make a 16 alphanumeric password and now tools is fine. They should really that somewhere
haddock.lynn

Post by haddock.lynn »

THANK YOU! I didn't know what was happening! One by one over the past couple of months all of the church apps on my iPhone (familysearch, tools, gospel library and FIR) were logging me out and when I tried to log in it said wrong password even though I could log in on my computer. I tried changing my password, but didn't try 12 characters until I found your post and that solved it. I'm surprised this is still a thing since your post is several years old, but I really appreciate it the tip!!!
yatesto

Post by yatesto »

I have experienced the same problems after upgrading to an iPad Pro 12.9. Got repeated “Wrong username or password” errors. Tried deleting Member Tools app and reinstalling. All data was gone. Same error and no way to sign back in. I changed Church account password to exactly 12 characters comprised of just numbers and letter. But I’m still getting them same error when opening Tools. So, unfortunately, this 12 character password “fix” didn’t work for me.

This process shouldn’t have to be this difficult! I’m reduced to accessing the member directory via the Internet instead of the mobile app. 🙁 I’m at a dead end.
mmcbride

Post by mmcbride »

Same problem for me. Been using member tools for years with no problem. Then all of a sudden it's just blank. Can't get to a login screen. Says user/password not valid but nowhere to input user/pass like on other family members phones. Tried reinstalling everything, updating ios, all data removed, still nothing. The app is still finding data from somewhere and I just need it to act like it's never been on this phone before so I can sign in at the initial screen. Frustrating. Seems to have happened exactly when our stake entered a temple recommend on app pilot.
loraannharrell

Post by loraannharrell »

Exact same issue! So frustrated. Please let me know if you found a solution!
mmcbride

Post by mmcbride »

Working now! thanks for the member tools team response. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get mine to work for days. Nothing I tried would do it...until, drum roll, I changed the app (well all apps) to allow background app refresh. Now it works! No idea why but yippee.
andersruss

Post by andersruss »

I have been struggling to get my tools back as well. Thank you for your post. Turning on background app refresh for all apps did it. Been struggling for weeks.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”