Membership Record missing spouse listed as non-member problem and solutions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gkdyer

Membership Record missing spouse listed as non-member problem and solutions

Post by gkdyer »

I had a peculiar problem recently with the LCR membership system. Jan 16 and 17, 2023

Symptoms:
Husband was listed as a member with his ordinances correctly recorded.
Wife was listed as "other" and non member. However clicking on her personal information appeared to show all parents information which is a bit unusual.

When wife's record was on the screen the Husband relationship was listed as "other" in the household.

This couples Membership records have been transferred at least 3 times since 2017 as this couple moved around, different wards and stakes.

Elder's quorum president notified me (membership clerk) that the wife was baptized many years before in NV USA. He contacted the stake president, and the stake president had no solution and confirmed that she was listed as a non-member.

Elder's quorum president then reached out to me. I contacted the husband who was listed as the member. Gathered sufficient information about the original ward and mission where she was previously baptized. As he was a long-time member, (was a priest at that time and had baptized his wife), He was able to provide useful information if we needed to re-create the record. He had contacts of the original ward mission leader, and the original bishop.
I contacted them and obtained the data. The missing problem is no one could remember who confirmed her, but all three agreed that she had been confirmed the day after in church. [This is important, in that the original baptism record can be cancelled if they are not confirmed within a few months of the baptism].

I also obtained the Original Mission phone number from the Salt Lake Church operator. Unfortunately, those records had been shredded...by this time.

On a hunch, I entered a new Search for the existing non-member, indicated the name, and City (or ward), State, and Country. It also asked (as I remember) if this person match the non-member listed in the ward. I indicated yes. The membership system automatically message responded that it might take a day or two for the records to show up.

The next day, the record had not arrived. Again, on a hunch, noting the "completeness" of the non-member record, I clicked on the spouse record who was listed as the member. Clicked the option to create an Adult record from a member's record. I noticed that some of the place information was incomplete on the record. Notably missing commas for City, County, State, and Country was missing (USA) on marriage records, and possibly other birth information was missing commas. (City and County was missing the comma in-between, and country (USA) was missing.

As soon as I clicked in "create a record" the baptism, and conformation information was correctly populated with the correct dates, and the membership record was "generated".
I was very confused and encouraged at the same time. Since the correct baptism dates were generated I assumed that the mission data was somehow "suspended" in {catholic limbo} state awaiting perhaps the missing commas and country information. I contacted the membership department for confirmation that the original ward and stake was associated with her baptism, as I had no idea if I had accidently "erronously" created the membership record without the "attestation" documentation required.
IT WAS CORRECT!

I did not "accidently" create the membership record.

PART2
After her record showed up, from her membership record He showed up as a non-member spouse! But when you switched to show his membership record, his record showed properly, and his ordinances showed up correctly.

I called Salt Lake again about this. The new membership "helper person" ended up deleting their marriage record entirely and asked me to contact them to get the correct marriage dates and re-enter this information.

The END.
Last edited by gkdyer on Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkdyer

Re: Membership Record missing spouse listed as non-member problem and solutions

Post by gkdyer »

Part 2 portion - the spouse again still showed as "other" relationship - not a spouse.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership Record missing spouse listed as non-member problem and solutions

Post by russellhltn »

gkdyer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:29 am When wife's record was on the screen the Husband relationship was listed as "other" in the household.
Remove her from the household and re-add her. When a person is added to the household, it's compared to the marriage information. If it matches, they're a "spouse". If it doesn't match, they become "other".

If that doesn't work, contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”