Hymn Lyrics in OBS

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Hymn Lyrics in OBS

Post by Mikerowaved »

Coming from a Wirecast Pro background and trying to migrate to OBS for stake conferences has been quite a learning experience. To me, OBS has always seemed a little rough around the edges compared to Wirecast's polished user interface. One thing I struggled with in OBS was setting up hymn lyrics - well, no more! One strong feature of OBS is the ability to add plugins and scripts from some very talented people. One such script I recently discovered is lyrics.lua that makes including lyrics in OBS actually faster and easier than what I was doing in Wirecast!

It's a bit tricky to initially setup, but this YouTube video does a great job of breaking it down step-by-step. Once setup, it's a breeze to use. Lyrics can be copied from the church website and dropped into a text file. With a minimal amount of touch up, they can be utilized in OBS. You can specify in OBS the number of lines to display at one time, or override that value with a control string put in the beginning of the text file. For example, to specify 3 lines would be #L:3. Other control strings are available for additional formatting, but I found I only need 1 or 2 to get by.

A little over-the-top for weekly Worship Services, but great for when we get back to in-person stake conferences utilizing dimly lit overflow buildings.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
samuelcheney

Re: Hymn Lyrics in OBS

Post by samuelcheney »

Take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojK8Vi36MKE
The concept is a workaround that just makes sense. The video uses google slides, but keynote also works if you're on a mac. It allows for greater freedom when it comes to text style, placement and animations. It's a tool that can be used for practically anything, if you get the hang of it.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yes, Scott Fichter presented both methods in YouTube just days apart last November. Using Google Slides has been the workaround for quite some time for titles and lyrics in OBS. It's a lot of work to setup the slides for each hymn. That's the beauty of lyrics.lua - there's hardly any work in getting the lyrics on the screen formatted the way you want.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mrmcgibby

Post by mrmcgibby »

I've been using the lyrics.lua script for a while now and have built up a number of hymns.

https://github.com/mrmcgibby/ldshymnlyrics

Mike Gibson
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mrmcgibby wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:34 pm I've been using the lyrics.lua script for a while now and have built up a number of hymns.

Very nice. Thanks!
BobNesbit

Post by BobNesbit »

Thanks for your note and for the hymn link.
Works well with .lua.
Thanks again,
Bob
BobNesbit

Post by BobNesbit »

mrmcgibby wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:34 pm I've been using the lyrics.lua script for a while now and have built up a number of hymns.

Mike Gibson
Perfect!!
Thanks so much!!
Bob
matthewk

Post by matthewk »

Does anyone have a good solution if using lyrics.lua when they announce we will sing verses 1,2,3 and 7? Up to now we have had enough time to quickly create a new hymn text and edit out the verses we are skipping. Our previous solution allowed us to select any any verse we wanted to present (but had other drawbacks)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

matthewk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:25 pm Does anyone have a good solution if using lyrics.lua when they announce we will sing verses 1,2,3 and 7?
You can open the lyrics.lua script, select the hymn (if not already selected) and in the "Song Lyrics" box, highlight the unused verses and delete them. Hit "Save Song" and the edited version will now show up when activated.

Not the easiest to do on the fly, but with practice, you can do the above while the organist is still playing the intro to the hymn.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”