Separate Tax Statements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rjhidaho

Separate Tax Statements

Post by rjhidaho »

The pregenerated tax statement for 2022 consists of a single pdf file.

I am trying to separate the file into pdf files for each recipient to be able to email tax statements to donors.

When trying to do so, I get an error that indicates a security password as a protected document.

Trying to remove security, I am asked for a password.

Is there any way to remove this security so I can create separate donor statements from the file rather than have to print paper statements for distribution.
rjhidaho

Re: Separate Tax Statements

Post by rjhidaho »

Here is the password screen when trying to remove security.
passwordrequest.pdf
(11.12 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
wwoodford

Post by wwoodford »

Rather than "hack" the password print to pdf and you should be able to accomplish what you are trying to do

William Woodford
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I believe the pre-generated file is intended to be printed and handed out, not emailed. You should be able to generate individual tax statements for each member if you want to send them out, but I would be a bit concerned about emailing them and potentially exposing members to identity theft if the email were intercepted (unless you password-protect the attachment).

When I served as ward clerk, we would put each family's statements in one of the ward envelopes with their name on the envelope and hand out all we could. For the few where we could not hand out in person, we simply added their mailing address and a stamp at the end of the month and dropped them in the mail. For any who have moved out of the ward, we would put them in the locked filing cabinet in the clerk's office in case those members reached back and requested a statement (but now, I think the statement follows them to their new ward/branch).

I know nobody wants to print anything anymore, but I wouldn't want the risk on my shoulders of emailing them out and then being the target of a data breach or identity theft investigation. Also, since all members receive their own tax statement from the church on their donations page (and can turn off the one that goes to the ward/branch from there as well), you may just want to wait and print individual pages for individual members who request them.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

davesudweeks wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:36 pm you may just want to wait and print individual pages for individual members who request them.
this is what we have been doing the last several years and works quite well for us.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

That said, the LCRF instruction on the Tithing Declaration "Year End Statement" tab is pretty clear that clerks "should print and distribute the official tax or annual summary statements for each donor"

In practice I think many of us have a 'wait and see' approach, where we respond to individual requests. But since the instruction continues to be worded this way, I think at least it's good for clerks to have the discussion every year with the Bishop -- to ensure he continues to be aware of the general policy, and that he re-authorizes the local adaptation.
waltbristow

Post by waltbristow »

You may want to encourage members who print their own statements to change their donation settings. There is an option that says "My financial statements do not need to be printed by my Ward."
rjhidaho

Post by rjhidaho »

Thanks for the replies.

1. Print to pdf will not work as the encryption blocks that approach.

2. Waiting for requests does not seem appropriate since we are directed to distribute tax statements by Jan 31.

3. The risk using email seems small as there is little information provided on the tax statement alone.

4. Using email is expeditious since we receive the pregenerated statement so late in the month.

5. I did find a workaround by printing to SnagIt and saving as individual pdf files.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

1. Print to pdf will not work as the encryption blocks that approach.
Perhaps I'm not following, but this works for me:
1) Click the pre-generated tax statement link, which displays in a new tab in my browser (Chrome)
2) Click the 'printer' icon in the upper-right corner
3) Change "Destination" to be "Save as PDF"
4) Change "Pages" to be "Custom" and enter the range I wanted
5) Click "Save" and enter the pdf filename
6) This generates a pdf as expected
rjhidaho

Post by rjhidaho »

Did not work for me. Got an error message that it was blocked. But glad it works for you!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”