Resignation of Membership - No Letter?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
stoutadam

Resignation of Membership - No Letter?

Post by stoutadam »

I have two members who have met with prior bishops/branch presidents. They did everything they should have done in order to have their names removed from the membership records of the church, but priesthood leaders failed to take the proper steps. Now, LCR requires that we attach a letter from the individual in order to proceed. What should we do? Details below.

1) One man met with his bishop in 1994 and submitted a letter to request his removal from church membership records. This did not occur in our unit. In approximately 2016, he mentioned this to his son, who was serving in our branch presidency. His son confirmed that his father submitted a letter (the son helped with the process). Both he and his son have since moved away and we do not have contact info. The intent to resign his membership is clear and he followed all the required steps, but his priesthood leaders failed to follow-through and properly complete the process. Consequently, we don't have the letter. What should we do? Attach a letter explaining why we don't have his letter?

2) The other member came in and met with the branch president. He made his intention to leave the church clear. He submitted a letter. This was in 2011. The branch president procrastinated the process and never submitted the letter. The letter is now lost; there has been contact with this member and a prior branch president asked for another letter, but the member will not write another letter (nor should he need to). What can we do? Attach a letter of explanation, signed by the current branch president?

It seems right to honor the wishes of these two men. They did their part in the process, but the Church did not. How do we make this right?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Resignation of Membership - No Letter?

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest contacting GSD for guidance.

A letter explaining why you don't have a letter sounds to me like a good plan. It would be stronger if you had more signatures, such as ones from the past with first hand knowledge.

In the case of the second one where you still have contact with them, I'd suggest making sure that's still his intention.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stoutadam

Post by stoutadam »

What is GSD?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stoutadam wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am What is GSD?
Global Services Department. They're the clerk support line (among other things).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to add, if he hasn't already, have the branch president search through all the files he inherited from the prior president. While not acting on the letter doesn't surprise me, I would be rather surprised if it was just tossed out.

Return to “Membership Help”