Near impossible to write notes - editor moves cursor during auto save

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mevans

Near impossible to write notes - editor moves cursor during auto save

Post by mevans »

For me, this started yesterday. It looks like they rolled out a few UI changes and when they did so, a regression bug appeared (I remember this bug from a while back). As I type a note in the panel, if I pause just a moment, it auto saves the note, but when it auto saves, it moves the cursor position to the beginning and maybe even selects text so that the next thing I type obliterates text at the beginning of the note. It makes a huge mess of my note if I'm not very careful.

I'm curious if other people are experiencing a similar problem. I haven't had enough time yet to more carefully evaluate what's going on and submit a bug; maybe I'll find time to do that over the weekend.
thovorka

Re: Near impossible to write notes - editor moves cursor during auto save

Post by thovorka »

Same issue here. Extremely annoying!!
mevans

Post by mevans »

Here's more detail. I'm putting it here so I can attach a screen shot and link to this post when I submit Feedback.
I am in a private browsing window and I have cleared my cache.

I started typing a note and then paused to gather my thoughts. The system auto saved:
Type and auto save.png
Type and auto save.png (20.51 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
Then I continued typing. Instead of continuing to type where I left off, several characters at the beginning that I had typed were obliterated and the next letter that I typed (the letter T), replaced several characters of text at the beginning of my entry.
Continue typing after auto save.png
Continue typing after auto save.png (24.84 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
The number of characters that get chomped at the beginning of what I type has varied, but the behavior is consistent.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I submitted feedback on this and it got fixed pretty quickly.

Either they were already aware of the problem and working on a fix or the Feedback and internal processes have improved to allow faster review and response to Feedback. In any case, thank you to those who quickly fixed this. :)
taylorsg

Post by taylorsg »

curser moves on me all the time, sometimes right in th middle of typing something and sometimes when I've stopped typing
mevans

Post by mevans »

taylorsg wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:32 pm curser moves on me all the time, sometimes right in th middle of typing something and sometimes when I've stopped typing
It's been working for me for several weeks now; but since you're currently experiencing the problem, I'm wondering about some things now...

I thought my feedback had quickly made it to the developers who fixed it. Well, that probably wasn't the case. The feedback people responded to my report a week or two after my post that it was fixed saying they were sending it to the developers for review. That leaves me to wonder about a few things:
  • Did someone else notice the problem and fix it before they got my bug report? Or is this one of those random, unexplainable problems that's going to periodically come back?
  • Is the church doing some kind of A/B testing and some people get the bug and others don't? Maybe I'm getting a preview of the fix or maybe you're getting a preview of a reintroduced bug?
  • Is the buggy code just on one server and if you're unlucky and the load balancer sends it to that server where you get the bad behavior?
Here are some things you can try. The results of your tests might help us pinpoint what's going on.
  • Clear your cache and cookies, then connect in a private/incognito mode window and see if the problem is still there.
  • Try a different device and see if the problem occurs there, too.
  • Have a family member or friend try it under a different church account. Do they get the problem, too? (They could try it on their own device or on yours.)

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”