Baby Blessings

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Sandywlmt

Baby Blessings

Post by Sandywlmt »

I just witnessed a baby blessing in which the mother of the baby stood in the circle with the Brethren. Is this allowed?
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Baby Blessings

Post by wertdl »

Based on my personal interpretation of Handbook 2, I'm inclined to say "no". Only Melchizedek Priesthood holders may participate in naming and blessing children.

If you have concerns, I recommend you speak with your bishop or stake president.

(Source: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2 ... ng=eng#202)
Sandywlmt

Post by Sandywlmt »

Thanks. I also read the handbook and came to the same conclusion. I just hope that it won't make the blessing not count.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

Sandywlmt wrote:I just hope that it won't make the blessing not count.
I hope so too. But that would ultimately be at the direction of the bishop or stake president, who hold priesthood keys for such decisions :)
Sandywlmt

Post by Sandywlmt »

Well, I'm ashamed to say that I came to the wrong conclusion. The mother was just holding the microphone. Do I feel stupid right now?...yes I do. From now on I'll make sure I have all of the facts first so I won't make a mistake like this again.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We usually have a deacon hold the microphone, but certainly there is no priesthood requirement for that function. My guess is that this is the way that ward has determined to allow mothers to be involved who wish to do so.

In another approach, I visited a ward recently where both the mother and father came up to the stand, the mother carrying the baby. She was invited to sit there while the father blessed the baby.

Handbook 2, 20.1.1 is very clear that only brethren who hold the necessary priesthood and are worthy may perform an ordinance or blessing or stand in the circle. So it would not have been proper for the mother to participate in the ordinance itself. Even so, the bishop is authorized to determine that an ordinance is valid if it is performed properly, regardless of what may later be discovered about those who do stand in the circle.
Sandywlmt

Post by Sandywlmt »

My ward usually has a Decon hold the microphone too. I guess this was just an exception. Thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate it.
henderson

Post by henderson »

The handbook, 18.6.1 and 18.6.2, clearly instructs that a baby blessing is a Melchizedek priesthood ordinance.
“Melchizedek Priesthood holders gather in a circle to name and bless a child.” It would be inappropriate for someone that does not have the Melchizedek priesthood to participate in the circle by having a hand under the child or on the shoulder of a brother.

Holding a microphone is not a priesthood function. As mentioned - some wards have someone that holds the Aaronic priesthood hold the microphone. So, anyone could hold the microphone, to include a sister.

Giving the option for a mother to hold the microphone gives her an opportunity to participate with her husband, in their very first ordinance for their child. It is in line with recent changes to who can be a witness at a baptism.

We offer this option for sisters in our ward. Another benefit is that in larger wards, blessings can be very difficult to hear, this way the mother is right there for the blessing. And if they are husband and wife - they can present the child together after the blessing is done.

Home Centered - Church Supported
cbass64

Post by cbass64 »

I have seen mother's sit in a chair to hold the baby during a blessing. Especially if the baby is older and particularly squirmy. This is to help comfort the baby and keep them quiet and still for the ordinance.

Return to “General Discussions”