Clear Touch RL400 PTZ documetation

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
brad_p

Clear Touch RL400 PTZ documetation

Post by brad_p »

Below is documentation and info for the Clear Touch RL400 PTZ camera, which was installed in our stake center.

Unfortunately, Clear Touch doesn't supply any of this themselves and do not respond to email requests. Through internet sleuthing and trial-and-error, I found the following. See attachments.

Clear Touch RL400 Documentation.pdf
My own information and documentation
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 372 times
vhdv600.pdf
The original Chinese product's documentation
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 248 times
TKofford

Re: Clear Touch RL400 PTZ documetation

Post by TKofford »

Thank you for finding and posting this! Just saved me untold hours!
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

TKofford wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:26 pm Thank you for finding and posting this! Just saved me untold hours!
Glad it worked. As a heads up, I've found the colors and brightness lacking on this camera. It has a knack for making skin, especially tops of heads, gleaming white. Certain faces with makeup it can make look rather ghastly. In the red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple, it's just never capable of showing all 6 colors, and usually shows 4 or 5ish at best. It also has a variable mode where it can try to auto detect and adjust, and that usually works well, but if it sees too much of one color it adjusts badly. We had one situation someone with red hair, an orange suit and tie, and a red beard speak, and the entire talk was bright orange. Anything not orange was turned to orange.

I took a five pieces of colored paper (red, yellow, light green, blue, purple), and then tried numerous permutations on various modes. Attached is the one seems to be the best:
WB Mode: VAR
Color Temp 3000K
RG Tuning 2 to 3
BG Tuning -2
Saturation 100%
Hue 4

It's not perfect, it makes blues too purple. But it's the best I can find.
Attachments
color-1.png
Last edited by russellhltn on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected RG Tuning
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you tried using the camera's manual white balance? With the change in lighting to different technologies, I'm not sure as I'd trust the presets to do a good job.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TKofford

Post by TKofford »

Great info! What VISCA client did you try that worked? I’m looking at a couple on GitHub based on python - was it one of those?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Not sure about the RL400, but with our camera we use the VISCA over IP plug-in with OBS. Works great, especially when using presets.

EDIT: Just read through the RL400 docs and it appears to support VISCA over TCP/IP using the standard port 5678. Of course, RS-232 is always an option too.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

russellhltn wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:11 pm Have you tried using the camera's manual white balance? With the change in lighting to different technologies, I'm not sure as I'd trust the presets to do a good job.
The camera has several different color modes. Each seems to give you access to some things but not others. I tried them all, many times, and this is the one I found worked best. This setting turns some blues into purples, and some purples into deep purples. But most everything else is good. All other settings would make heads angelic beaming white, or lose two colors (red, orange, yellow, and/or green were frequently lost), or just look badly muted, or auto adjust the wrong way too often.

I also made a typo, I said RG tuning is -2 to -3, I meant RG tuning is 2 to 3.
TKofford wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:22 pm Great info! What VISCA client did you try that worked? I’m looking at a couple on GitHub based on python - was it one of those?
OBS-PTZ plugin with OBS. That plugin has a bug on certain machines on com ports, and hopefully it's fixed now. It relied on QT6 which was the source of the bug but is now fixed I believe? If you have a direct IP connection, use that first, it's much better, and it avoids the bug. If you only have a com port, it will work, but it takes a several seconds before it accepts its first command, and subsequent commands are a bit sluggish. See the prior attached document for a screenshot how I do it.

I haven't found any plugin that's satisfactory in moving the camera with ease. The pros seem to use a physical joystick for easy steering control. With that plugin you just have to get good at very quick flicks to move the camera slightly. I also recommend 8-12 presets, it really makes a difference.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brad_p wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 am I also made a typo, I said RG tuning is -2 to -3, I meant RG tuning is 2 to 3.
Fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”