Celiac disease

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Celiac disease

Post by sbradshaw »

BrianEdwards wrote:That said, at the very least I think it's valuable to be aware of the guidelines regarding the allowance of a "prebroken bread substitute". The breaking of the bread is an important symbolic element of the sacramental ordinance, and I think it's worth considering if a different option other than a Chex wafer might be available, which the member could break themselves beforehand. If not, then I'd suggest simply ensuring the member in question is aware of this aspect ,so they can feel like they're still "fully included" even if their emblem is not broken.
The interpretation of General Handbook 18.9.3 could go either way. The current wording is: "broken bread-like substitute". This could mean either a bread-like substitute that's broken (meaning, the piece of Chex or gluten-free bread must be broken), or a substitute that's like broken bread (where a small piece of Chex could qualify – because of its size/shape – without needing to be separately broken). Either interpretation leads to the same symbolism, being like broken bread. I wish I knew which interpretation the Handbook editors had in mind.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

sbradshaw wrote:I wish I knew which interpretation the Handbook editors had in mind.
Or perhaps they left it a little ambiguous on purpose to allow for local circumstances.
tombarkis

Post by tombarkis »

in my ward, the bishop counseled me “a little won’t hurt”, i just recovered from liver failure caused by adverse reaction to gluten, circa1995, over the years since, not one bishop would alter the sacrament procedure to include a gluten free bread that i could take, by the time a modification to sacrament procedure appeared in the church handbook 2, i had given up on sacrament meetings, i am encouraged to hear that some wards have been more flexible and realize d&c 27:2 applies.
Last edited by tombarkis on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
ragren

Post by ragren »

I have celiac disease and the solution for us has been that I bring a half piece of gluten free bread each week wrapped in tin foil which gets put on its own tray. We have 3 priests at the table and all priests in the ward have been taught about what gluten free means. They all use hand cleaner before breaking any bread. After the prayer, one of the priests opens the gluten free bread and breaks it into the newly-opened tin foil before touching any other bread. Then that priest waits until after the sacrament is passed to them, then he gets up and takes that gluten free tray/bread to those in the ward that he knows about. If there are visitors that need gluten free bread, they just let the priest know and he is responsible to get gluten free bread to those who need it. It has worked fairly well for us since the tin foil gets rid of the gluten on the tray issue, it is broken bread, and it only goes to those that need it.
Bryce2787

Post by Bryce2787 »

I just get the member to bring a sealed container to put on the tray to be blessed and passed and tell the priesthood holders who it is for. I instruct them not to open the container under any circumstance. I am not willing to risk our priesthood bearers being responsible for the fate of a members mortal existence over some ambiguous point of church policy.

Return to “General Discussions”