Laptop won't connect to either Liahona or LDS Access

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
heatherawood

Laptop won't connect to either Liahona or LDS Access

Post by heatherawood »

My Dell laptop won't connect to either Liahona or LDS Access, which is weird because I have another laptop just like it that will. I'm trying to connect at a seminary building. It will sometimes connect for a few minutes right when I get to the building, but then it disconnects and won't reconnect. The splash page has never popped up, so I've tried going straight to https://guestwirelesstermsofuse.churchofjesuschrist.org on both internet explorer and chrome right when it connects for those few minutes, but the page doesn't load fully like it does on my phone or other laptop. Anyone have any guesses what I need to look for on the laptop?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Laptop won't connect to either Liahona or LDS Access

Post by jdlessley »

heatherawood wrote:My Dell laptop won't connect to either Liahona or LDS Access...
LDS Access should not be available because it was transitioned to Liahona in April and should no longer even be on the list of available networks. I would concentrate on connecting to Liahona only.
heatherawood wrote:It will sometimes connect for a few minutes right when I get to the building, but then it disconnects and won't reconnect.
The brief connection and disconnecting is sometimes normal. The disconnect is because the policy acceptance page has not been displayed and acknowledged. It is possible the acceptance page is not displayed because popups are disabled on your browsers. Try turning them on, at least for the churchofjesuschrist.org website.

If turning on popups for churchofjesuschrist.org does not work for the next attempt then try disconnecting from the network by clicking Forget and then reconnecting by selecting the Liahona network again and entering the password. This should restart the network connection and enable the acceptance page/popup.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
winjesluck

Post by winjesluck »

Are you able to check your laptop's is getting it's DNS server address from DHCP and is not set manually.
That's one of the reasons I've had issues connecting to the Liahona network and not getting the splash page before.
tylergraf

Post by tylergraf »

I had my DNS set to 8.8.8.8. Removing that to use the network's default DNS fixed it for me.
Roontek

Post by Roontek »

Confirming that having my DNS set to CloudFlare caused the issue. Had to remove the rule in MacOS and allow it to run off of the standard DNS.
warddb

Post by warddb »

Can you explain how to do what you did on a pc and mac for a non-techy person?
martinezs

Post by martinezs »

I cannot log on to the the Liahona WiFi on my Dell laptop and I have checked my DNS for the IP address and DHCP is automatic and I cannot figure out why I cannot connect to the Liahona wifi. When I tried a few months ago I was able to connect to the Liahona WiFi. I just updated my Dell and am wondering if in the update that has made a difference regarding logging on and connecting to the Liahona WiFi.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

martinezs wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:57 pm I cannot connect to the Liahona wifi.
Sometimes the splash screen does not appear on its own on my laptop. I have to open a browser. And when I do the page shows up, I can agree to behave, and all is well again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

martinezs wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:57 pm I have checked my DNS for the IP address
Meaning you've verified that it's set to automatic? Do you have any VPN software installed?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Bookmark the following link, and when all else fails, click on it and it will take you to the splash screen where you can accept the terms of use and get access to the internet. If you've already accepted, no harm done, it just takes you to the church's home page.

https://guestwirelesstermsofuse.churchofjesuschrist.org
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”