New voice for audio Book of Mormon

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: New voice for audio Book of Mormon

Post by sbradshaw »

italiasaint wrote:With this new artificial voice for text to speech I have found that every time I want to listen to the scriptures I have to reset from female to male voice. The settings will not stick with my choice. This new artificial speech is so frustrating and off-putting and the only way to hear a human voice is to sign in to the church website. Please, please give us the option to use a human voice when listening in the LDS gospel library.
Which content are you listening to? Usually if you get text-to-speech, it means audio recordings don't exist for that content, or they haven't been published yet for that content (if it's new content), or you're not connected to the internet and you don't have the audio files for that content downloaded.

I noticed your username is "italiasaint" – if you're trying to listen to the scriptures in Italian, there are no recordings of the scriptures in Italian currently, so text-to-speech is your only option. But you can customize the text-to-speech in Android settings (quality varies based on the device manufacturer and OS version).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
elizabethlouisebatty

Post by elizabethlouisebatty »

I agree with all of you. But we do have other options. I listen to my scripture using Audible.com. I downloaded the Bible that we read. I'm able to put my ear buds in and listen. The make voice is very comfortable to listen to. Like one of you said there is many options to read and listen to scriptures.
ThorntonJN

Post by ThorntonJN »

I also love the Bruce Lindsey voice version. The best voice of all the voices in my opinion.

Unfortunately, the link https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/med ... s?lang=eng is returning a page not found.

It is also confusing to me that when I select a Male voice the narration still is a Female voice. I'm guessing this is a software bug? otherwise, I think the option should be removed.
italiasaint

Post by italiasaint »

Unfortunately, my "italiasaint" name is not because I speak Italian, it is a nod to my heritage and not the language I speak, although it would be great for those who's first language is Italian, as we have an Italian member in our ward, or those learning the language. Thank you for noticing my name and considering a voice translation to Italian.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ThorntonJN wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:28 am It is also confusing to me that when I select a Male voice the narration still is a Female voice.
Unless something else is going on, the voice you select reads the main verses of a chapter, but the opposite voice reads the headings.
wyosharon

Post by wyosharon »

Please provide more options than the AI or text to speech sounding robots of 2024. What happened to the 2023 voices? The old voices were delightful for helping the kids who could not yet read, explore the scriptures on their own.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wyosharon wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:14 am Please provide more options ...
The Tech Forum is primarily user-to-user discussion and self help. There is little chance your post will be seen by anyone who can consider your recommendation. Use the in-app Send Feedback option in the Help menu to get you recommendation to the app decision makers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wyosharon wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:14 am Please provide more options than the AI or text to speech sounding robots of 2024. What happened to the 2023 voices?
I'm not an expert on the mobile app, but I'm pretty sure the robot voice is provided by your phone. To get the recorded text, you either have to download the audio files or have a working internet connection to be able to play them.

If "Limit Cellular Data Use" is turned on in the App's settings, you probably need a working WiFi connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library”