Reimbursement to Maiden Name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
manakuke

Reimbursement to Maiden Name

Post by manakuke »

A member has her bank account in her maiden name, but the membership info as well as the payee info in the finance side use her legal married name, which is different. She is having issues with her bank and not able to cash a check made out in her married name. Anything I can do short of making a non-member account in her maiden name. She does not have the ability (no tech savvy) to connect her bank account to do an electronic transfer.
davesudweeks

Re: Reimbursement to Maiden Name

Post by davesudweeks »

She might be able to show her marriage certificate to the bank to prove her maiden name and married name are the same person. However, whether or not the bank would accept that would be up to the bank.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Just before you print the check there is an option to edit the address. You could try editing the address and putting AKA <maiden name> at the top of the address. Perhaps the bank would accept it then. But no guarantees.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you're printing the check to her legal name, I'd think this would be a matter between her and the bank. I am mildly curious about the legalities of not updating one's accounts to the current legal name. This could come back and bite her at some point.

She might try this: How to Sign/Endorse a Check Over to Someone Else. Have her endorse her married name over to her maiden name.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

She should sign both names on the check and just deposit it. I am surprised a bank would refuse a deposit for what is probably a nominal amount from a known customer. A woman can be known by her maiden name for all of her life at her option.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is she trying to deposit it or cash it? I'm also surprised they'd be fussy on a deposit. But if she's trying to cash it, that's a different story.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
manakuke

Post by manakuke »

She just said she could not deposit into her account. I believe she has to do it in person. I was going to try setting up electronic transfer, but she doesn't know her routing information and when I tried to help her, she balked at it. She seemed daunted by figuring that out. English is not her native language, but she does speak it well. But there could be some trepidation in trying something at the bank if she assumes things have to be in her name and does not want to get in trouble, even though the bank should take it. I can try encouraging her to endorse it to herself, but she may feel that's too weird.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

Teaching folks how to fish only works when they are willing. Maybe a ministering sister or brother can take over collaborating for a time.

Lack of trust, overriding fears, limiting perspectives, etc., can be very difficult for 'outsiders' (or 'insiders') to work with, and at times require professional involvement.

Sometimes we just need to let folks teach themselves. I've learned to allow people to determine when and how they would be willing to accept help. Also, when they can't get past one or more limitations I disengage, to minimize their stress as well as mine. Another perspective might be, at times we probably each need to learn some stuff the hard way.

Currently, a member attending our Sunday meetings is extremely private about their personal information. They won't share their birth date, so we can't bring in their member record. Also, I think we're not quite sure where they live. And, one of our kinda 'old timers' remembers this person from decades ago, and dealing with the same issues. Dealing with mental health issues can be a real bummer.

Best wishes.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”