All church leader emails getting flagged

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
faziow

All church leader emails getting flagged

Post by faziow »

Ever since my local church leaders have switched to some new church-provided method for sending emails, Gmail has automatically flagged them as unverifiable senders that might be phishing attempts and routed them to the spam folder. I suspect it has something to do with the fact they always come from “noreply@churchofjesuschrist.org” but with different sender names and reply-to addresses. I now know to check the spam folder regularly for these, but many other ward and stake members with Gmail are likely unaware. Hence, a lot of important communication is going unreceived—which is especially troublesome in this no-meetings time when it may be the only communication channel.

Is there any way that the Church tech folks can adjust their email sending tool so that those emails have the necessary credentials to always get the green light from Google’s systems? (Maybe there’s some sort of security certificate they can use to authenticate that it came from the Church, or an organizational whitelist they can be added to...?)
faziow

Re: All church leader emails getting flagged

Post by faziow »

I happened to come across a couple other threads regarding problems for folks using @byu.net email aliases. Well, that’s exactly what the issue was here. Did a before/after test switching my account to my direct Gmail address, and that worked. Posting for any others who may run across this with a similar issue. For reference, the warning I had been getting said: “Be careful with this message. Gmail could not verify that it actually came from churchofjesuschrist.org. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information.” Now that the emails go straight to my Gmail address, the warnings no longer appear and the messages make it to the inbox.

Relevant threads that helped me realize this:
viewtopic.php?t=34397
viewtopic.php?t=31531
viewtopic.php?t=22771
aslade

Re: All church leader emails getting flagged

Post by aslade »

Thank you for posting this. I also had the @byu.net issue. I ended up switching to a different email (Gmail) for my ChurchOfJesusChrist.org account.

But lately, I have still been getting emails from Church leaders in my spam folder. This includes local leaders who happen to work for the Church and use their work email to send messages directly to me (not through the LCR mail solution) and messages from our local FM group.

Gmail shows the warning:
“Be careful with this message.
The sender hasn't authenticated this message so mail can't verify that it actually came from them. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information.”

Could this be an issue with the DMARC, DKIM, and SPF settings of the email services used by the Church?

Return to “Other Member Technologies”