remote access

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Joe_Smith

remote access

Post by Joe_Smith »

Hi all

I hope this finds you in good health and peace of mind.

I am a fairly new member and was called to be a family history consultant, as I had been working with familysearch for three years already and knew it fairly well and had a quite extensive tree, with 5,000+ people and an average of 4 sources each.

[I introduced a new activity to our Ward (Kawana on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia) which got the young people involved and which seemed to be very fun and successful. The young people were asked to help older members install the Family Tree app on their smart phones and then log on and use the ''find a relative near me'' feature. Many people found they were related to other members of the ward, which they didn't previously know about. More than one person had at least 5 new cousins.]

As I was going to travel extensively, I asked my ward leaders if it were possible to arrange remote logging into the FHC computer. After inquiries, they said ''no''.

It would seem to me that it could be possible, as many companies do this these days, where they have staff that telecommute and it would be just a matter of getting good advice on how to make such logins safe. Only the consultant would log into the computer, as it is when they are in the actual room/s, and they would hold an online meeting with the person they were helping, using Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, or some such online meeting software.

The benefit of this to me, would have been, I could possibly have kept my calling, while I was travelling and could continue help ward members, as well as the general public.

The benefit to the larger community would have been:

1. no need to close the family history centre/library and stop helping people through it, due to pandemics. Phone numbers of remote consultants could be put up on a notice, given as a list to the family history leader, or made available on a website

2. more flexibility in hours help could be offered, not just the often very limited hours of some FHCs, e.g. our was open less then 6 hours a week

3. saved travel time/more convenience, as both the consultant and the person helped could work from home, so either could be partially sick also

4. a greater range of records could be accessed having logged into the FHC computer with the FHP (portal)

Please take this suggested improvement to the relevant church authorities, for proper consideration, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

best wishes
Joe
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: remote access

Post by russellhltn »

Joe_Smith wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:31 pm I asked my ward leaders if it were possible to arrange remote logging into the FHC computer. After inquiries, they said ''no''.
And there's your likely answer. This isn't a technical issue as much as a permission/policy/legality issue.

I went looking for policy of FHC computers and found What software is recommended for FamilySearch center computers?
Guests should not download software applications or customize browser software without approval from the stake temple and family history consultant—FamilySearch center. Only properly licensed software should be installed. Software licensed for home use only that is installed in a center is a violation of the terms of use and should be removed. Software installed on computers in a center must be licensed for commercial use.
The licensing issue is not trivial. Most software that is free is only free for home use.

I'm not clear on why you needed to remote into the computer. If it was to access FHC resources, note that with a browser extension, you can use most if not all of a FHC resource any place you can find a church Liahona network. (At least that's how it is in the U.S.)

If it's to assist a patron, I'd suggest looking into the help function built-into FamilySearch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Joe_Smith wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:31 pm 4. a greater range of records could be accessed having logged into the FHC computer with the FHP (portal)
Allowing people to access records remotely that are only available from a FamilySearch Center would breach contracts with records providers, and is likely one of the reasons that remote access to FamilySearch Center computers isn't allowed.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:42 pm Allowing people to access records remotely that are only available from a FamilySearch Center would breach contracts with records providers, and is likely one of the reasons that remote access to FamilySearch Center computers isn't allowed.
That has recently been broadened. With the FamilySearch browser extension, you can access most if not all of it any place there's a church Liahona network. (At least in the US)

Of course, this still means you can't get to it from your hotel room or at home. You'd have to visit a church building. But there are far more chapels than FHCs (now called FamilySearch centers).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”