First Presidency Exception for Baptism of a Convict

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
cmvake

Re: First Presidency Exception for Baptism of a Convict

Post by cmvake »

How long does it take after the stake president has consulted the First Presidency? Is it a long process? If given approval from the First Presidency, how soon can the convert get baptized? Is there an additional process??
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

cmvake wrote:How long does it take after the stake president has consulted the First Presidency? Is it a long process? If given approval from the First Presidency, how soon can the convert get baptized? Is there an additional process??
You are mixing two questions. If this concerns an ex-communicated member, the stake president coordinates the process. If this concerns a convert who wishes to be baptized, then the mission president coordinates the process.

In either case, these are questions best answered by having the stake or mission president call the Office of the First Presidency. If the question is asked, their secretary is usually willing to provide general guidelines concerning how long these applications take to process once all of the necessary information is available and the application is in order.

Also in either case, once the First Presidency has made a decision and communicated it to the stake or mission president, there is no time requirement before baptism, which may take place under the authority of the stake or mission president as soon as permission has been received and arrangements may be made.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How long it will take the First Presidency may be difficult to answer. In the past, I've been given the impression these things are decided in regularly scheduled meetings. However, the meeting has a time limit. Anything not resolved by the end of the meeting will be deferred to the next meeting. As a result, I've found that even knowledgeable church employees have trouble predicting when something will be reviewed. It depends too much on how long it takes for them to work their way though the list of items to be addressed.

However, my experience was based on decisions about technical matters. I'd imagine that this kind of decision will have more urgency and a higher priority. But I'd still expect it to be handled in a regular meeting and it would still be subject to how many other applications are in ahead of it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cmvake

Post by cmvake »

Ok- my question has been answered. Thanks!
6of12

Post by 6of12 »

My friend "joined" the church while he was in prison. He will be getting out and off parole in June 2018. He is anxiously waiting for the day when he can get baptized.
Should we refer him to the missionaries once he gets out and then let them take it from there?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

6of12 wrote:Should we refer him to the missionaries once he gets out and then let them take it from there?
Yes, but there is no rush, since he will probably need to wait until next year to be baptized. In the meantime, I would refer him to the ward he will be attending where he will live. The missionaries will find him there, but it is more important that the bishop find him, as well.
bigdave208

Post by bigdave208 »

i filed for an exception with the first presidency a year ago. I was denied, however I continued to show up for church, partake of sacrament, and volunteer when I can. Am I able to appeal the first presidency's decision? Would it make a difference if I have a letter of support from the bishop, stake president and some senior missionaries who can attest to my continued growth and dedication in coming to church and church related activities?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bigdave208 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:24 pm I filed for an exception with the first presidency a year ago.
Did your mission president make the request on your behalf?

I would suggest that you visit with your bishop and stake president and let them know of your desire. Your stake president will be able to visit with the mission president and determine what further steps may be taken, if any.

So much depends on the circumstances of your particular case, and it would be totally inappropriate and off-topic to discuss that here at the Forum.

The procedure is that the mission president makes any recommendation for an exception to the First Presidency. If that has already happened, then the mission president would need to determine if there have been sufficient changes to warrant making another request to the First Presidency since the original request was made.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you continue to faithfully attend and participate as you are allowed, and counsel with your bishop, who will work with the stake president and the mission president to determine the best steps to take from here.

Return to “Reports and Forms”