Frequent logins required

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
hutchbay

Frequent logins required

Post by hutchbay »

Starting a week or two ago, the GL app on iOS now prompts for a login at least every 3-4 days. :cry:

This is a real irritant that spoils the experience. It’s not my banking app, seriously. Once a month would be more than enough. Remember that I already have to authenticate to get into my phone at all!

Thanks,
Colin
caillines

Re: Frequent logins required

Post by caillines »

Yep. I've been noticing this too.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It shouldn't prompt for login every few days unless you're actively using the annotation tools.* If you are using the annotation tools, not signing in means that all of your notes and annotations will be lost if your phone breaks or is lost, if you switch to a new phone, or if something happens to the OS or the app that requires a delete and reinstall.

*There is one other scenario I'm aware of where it will repeatedly prompt to sign in – there's a bug in iOS Gospel Library where, if you are signed in but the authentication token expires and isn't able to renew, the sign-in modal will pop up repeatedly. However, this is rare, and it would prevent you from using the app at all until it's resolved, so that's not likely what you're seeing.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
grasshopp@hotmail.com

Post by grasshopp@hotmail.com »

I am having to log in each time I open the app. Is there a fix or workaround? It started a couple of days ago.

Cheers
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you cancel the sign-in popup, then go to Gospel Library settings, does it show you as already signed in? If so, you're probably in the state where you're already signed in, but have an expired authentication token. The workaround for that is to fully sign out in Settings, then sign back in. You might have to be quick in tapping to open Settings after tapping Cancel, if the sign-in modal shows repeatedly each time you cancel.
hutchbay

Post by hutchbay »

I’ll try that at the next login prompt. It’s definitely a new behavior, though I’ve always annotated heavily, and it has always kept me logged in and my changes synced.
grahamf72

Post by grahamf72 »

Mine is doing it every time I open the app. Absolutely hopeless. If I switch to another app because I want to paste something from the scriptures, or read a text message, I have to sign in again when I switch back to gospel library. It’s made the app close to useless. Especially since I need the SMS code every time, which can have a 5 minute delay. It’s quicker to use google and the website than to log in to gospel library.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

To follow up on this thread, it turns out that an iOS Member Tools update in March caused issues with the sign-in state in Gospel Library (Church apps on iOS use single sign-on).
This should now be fixed, if you're on the latest version of both apps (Gospel Library 6.3.8 or later, and Member Tools 4.8.1 or later). After updating, you may need to sign out and back in on the apps one more time.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”