Chromecast and Liahona

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Chromecast and Liahona

Post by Mikerowaved »

kevinjeanwoodland wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:49 pm Is the Liahona wifi actually setup to block the use of the Chrome Cast?
In a sense, yes. The firewall is setup to block any device not using the DNS address it hands out during the DHCP exchange. Many Chromecast devices have their DNS hardwired to Google (such as 8.8.8.8), so by firewall rule (which is unchangeable by us), it will not be allowed to access the Internet. I believe this is enough to break its ability to function properly even on the local LAN. Assigning it to "No Splash" won't change this.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dawelker

Post by dawelker »

Would that also prevent you from mirroring your phone screen to the Chromecast? I'm just wondering if I could mirror something that is saved locally on the phone without the Chromecast having to use DNS to go to the web to get it.
Last edited by dawelker on Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dawelker wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:59 pm Would that also prevent you from mirroring your phone screen to the Chromecast? I'm just wondering if I could mirror something that is saved locally on the phone without the Chromecast having to use DNS to go to the web to get it.
According to THIS article, simple mirroring is the only thing it can do without Internet access. I haven't tried it personally, but it looks like it might be possible.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RichPhillips

Post by RichPhillips »

I have the same or similar issue to what was described by htmrussell.

I had installed chromecast on two TVs in our stake center about a year ago and got them to work, using the no splash policy group. Somewhere along the line they stopped working. I tried to re-install but the chromecast software wanted to update but would not connect to the internet to do so. I took them home and got them to update and brought them back to the meetinghouse to re-install. Even though the mac addresses are in the no splash policy, and CNM and analiti show them connected to the Liahona network, chromecast will not connect to finish setup through the google Home app. Chromecast reports problems connecting and says to try a different SSID. I tried setting them up to use Lehi SSID and got the same result, unable to connect. CNM and analiti show it connected to the network, but chromecast says it cannot connect.

I have tried rebooting the firewall and re-setting the chromecast in various combinations. When I use an older chromecast power adapter that has an enet connector and allows an enet connection to the LAN, the chromecast works without any setup required. Unfortunatley, enet access is not close by to the TV, so I cannot leave cables strung across the classrooms.

I believe something about the firewall won't let the chromecast talk to the internet.

If this is a DNS issue or a firewall filtering issue, does anyone know how to resolve it?

I talked with GSC but dropped the request and decided to check the forum before I go back to GSC or email mhtech.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
buckeyepower

Post by buckeyepower »

I have found a casting device on Amazon which solves this problem because it doesn't require a wifi connection. Simply plug the wireless HDMI adapter into a TV or projector and follow the onscreen instructions. So simple and no wifi needed on the device. The devices is compatible with Apple iOS, Android, MAC and Windows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4L ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”