Webinar Audio Problems (music breaking up)

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
miken2av

Webinar Audio Problems (music breaking up)

Post by miken2av »

(Note-I sent this to Zoom support, my suspicion is the Zoom update that was forced Sunday morning introduced the problem. the Youtube video links are unlisted and will come down when the issue is resolved.)
This past weekend we had 3 webinar meetings. The meeting we had on Saturday the audio worked great. The Sunday webinar any speaking sounded great but any music like singing, piano, or mp3 files was breaking up very badly. We didn't do anything different from one day to the next. For audio we have an output out of the house system that is an xlr. This is connected to a Behringer Xenyx 302USB. The USB connection from this mixer we connect to our Dell Precision 7710 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1535M v5 @ 2.90GHz with 48GB ram.

You can hear the audio issue on this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4eeaxCkS8
@6 min is an example of playing voice speaking (from you tube picked up by a mic) sounds good.
@ 22 minutes is an example of mp3 with piano music
@37 minutes is a live pianist being picked up on a microphone. sound for all of this in the chapel is clear. Sound coming out of the Behringer mixer studio speaker is clear. but you hear what is going out on both zoom and YouTube music is breaking up. I played with zoom audio settings every way I could try. Nothing helped. It worked perfect the day before.

One thing I did notice was Sunday morning every computer we had zoom running on did a forced zoom update. The only thing I can think of is something in that update caused the issue.

btw... here is the Saturday meeting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAIWDrlU94

@25 min the audio is perfect in a song. There is a separate issue that shows up at the end of the song. Our interpreter used the link sent in the zoom invitation to sign in but it made him a meeting participant so he was speaking over the webcast speakers. He used the correct email to sign in. We had problems with this for every meeting but finally got it to work Sunday. we had to not do translation on Saturday.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Webinar Audio Problems (music breaking up)

Post by Mikerowaved »

It sounds like in Zoom "Use Original Sound" got deselected. Be sure it's checked! It treats music as "background noise" and tries to suppress it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not sure about Zoom, but in some software packages, updates can reset settings back to default.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
miken2av

Post by miken2av »

Mike and Russell I think you are both right. I think the "Use Original Sound" must have be deselected when the software updated. Zoom checked the logs and for the Saturday session and "Use Original Sound" was selected but for Sunday it was deselected. When I started the webinar Saturday I didn't even check any of the settings, it was just working great. Sunday I think I was afraid to click the Use Original Sound because it said it was recommended for a studio environment.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I guess I need to not be afraid of playing with settings. I think the labeling for original sound could be a little clearer about what it does.
Attachments
zoom3.JPG
zoom2.JPG

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”