Changing language of Missionary On-line Recommendation form

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
B_Seegmiller

Changing language of Missionary On-line Recommendation form

Post by B_Seegmiller »

We have a member of one of our Spanish wards whose on-line recommendation only comes in the unit language (Spanish), and she'd like it in English. The problem is we can't find a way to change the language. Is this a known problem, or are we (bishop of the ward, stake president, or stake clerk) missing something in configuring a missionary's recommendation when it's started?

Thanks for your help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Changing language of Missionary On-line Recommendation f

Post by russellhltn »

There's been an ongoing problem with lds.org picking the wrong language. I'd suggest she try going to lds.org, making sure the language is correct there, and then going to her missionary page. If that doesn't work, look for a "lang=" in the URL and change it to "lang=eng".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

After signing in to the Missionary Online Recommendation System, there is a dropdown box at the top right (next to the Sign Out link) entitled Select a Language. The current choices are English, Spanish, and Portugese.

Although the site will start in Spanish because of her assigned unit, she should be able to change it to English. I do not know if she will have to select English each time she uses the site, or if her language preference will be recorded.

If she is using a smaller monitor, the dropdown may be off the screen to the right, because the page does not seem to format properly within the confines of the monitor being used to view the page.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

Thank you for your responses. There is no "lang=xxx" in the URL, and the language selection button appears only when a leader logs into the Missionary On-line Recommendation site and not when the candidate logs in. We (stake president and stake clerk and her bishop) observed this today. This was Firefox 22.0 on Mac OS 10.8.4 with a wide screen. The missionary Web site recommends certain browsers (not Safari), so she used the Firefox browser.

I have observed the LDS.org Web site popping up with the "lang=spa" occasionally -- which language I rarely (almost never) use, except to test the lds.org Web site. I think it's because it shows up as a "popular" item, I suppose, though still puzzling.
adoga

Post by adoga »

We're having this same problem with a member. Anyone know how to fix this?
connorbhaines

Re: Changing language of Missionary On-line Recommendation form

Post by connorbhaines »

Same problem here. Our sons application is in Spanish. We are not Spanish and our ward is not a Spanish unit. Our LDS account is most definitely English. I can't find anywhere to change it.
Lealtui

Post by Lealtui »

It seems that this is still an issue. I'm trying to print my forms in English, but the website only loads in Portuguese (I go to a Portuguese ward) and I can't seem to find where to change the language. How is this still an issue?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Look at the url in the address bar - if it ends with anything other then "eng" then change it to read ..."/?lang=eng" and it should reload in English.

For English, the main church page looks like this: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/?lang=eng

There have been other posts where the language changed for some unexplained reason and this should fix it. Also, after logging into your church account, go to your profile and verify the language listed is correct - if not, change it there.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

Amazing that this is still a problem. I started this thread 10 years ago.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Amazing that this is still a problem. I started this thread 10 years ago.
Did you also submit a formal Feedback request back then? This Forum is great for getting helpful ideas from other members, but unlikely to ever provide resolution to Church IT issues. Although I'm sure there are plenty of long-standing issues submitted via Feedback that still are unresolved, hopefully you at least also went through that route.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”