Electronic ACH Payment to Non-Member (Fast Offering: Housing)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kbunker85

Electronic ACH Payment to Non-Member (Fast Offering: Housing)

Post by kbunker85 »

I am tryin to send fast offering funds as an electronic payment to cover a ward member's rent. The sticking point is that the landlord (nonmember) doesn't accept anything other than an electronic payment. When I attempt to initiate one, I receive the following error message:

"No EFT details exist for this Participant for the Payment Type selected. Please select a different Payment Type or request the Payee to add their EFT details via the Online Donations system."

How does one enter the bank info for a non-member landlord with no church account into the "online donations system"?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Electronic ACH Payment to Non-Member (Fast Offering: Housing)

Post by lajackson »

kbunker85 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:00 pm How does one enter the bank info for a non-member landlord with no church account into the "online donations system"?
You cannot. This is a system limitation. With permission of the bishop, one workaround is to have a leader (such as the elders quorum or Relief Society president) pay the landlord online, and then reimburse that leader electronically.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I'm afraid there is no way of doing EFT for any payee other than members. If you have a member who is capable and willing, you could have them make the payment and then reimburse them. When possible payment should be made directly to providers but when that isn't possible, having a member pay and reimburse is acceptable. Just make sure you get documentation showing the payment to add to the lease since the payment would not be direct.

The only other possibility that I know of would be to push back and see if the landlord would accept a check from an entity like the church (where the check is sure to clear).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Sometimes places don't accept personal checks, but do accept money orders or cashier's checks.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

The help webpage for unit finances indicates you CAN do EFT to a NON-MEMBER or BUSINESS by adding a new participant then new payee then selecting “non-member” then entering their banking info.

Here is the link to the help page.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/too ... t?lang=eng
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

CalS201 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:42 pm The help webpage for unit finances indicates you CAN do EFT to a NON-MEMBER or BUSINESS by adding a new participant then new payee then selecting “non-member” then entering their banking info.

Here is the link to the help page.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/too ... t?lang=eng
What country are you in? For the U.S. the procedure you describe is not possible. I just went through the article and it does not mention being able to add banking information for nonmembers. The article may be written differently for those countries where it is possible to make EFT transfers to nonmember participants. I do recall someone stating some time ago that it is a procedure in certain EU countries to make nonmember EFT transactions. But as it stands, it is not possible in the U.S. I am in the U.S. and I tried to add a nonmember participant with banking information but there is nowhere to add banking information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

For the U.S. the procedure you describe is not possible. I just went through the article and it does not mention being able to add banking information for nonmembers
You are correct. My mistake. To save face, I'll just blame it on covid-brain and a long day at the temple :)

Feel free to delete the misleading post.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

CalS201 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:49 am I'll just blame it on covid-brain and a long day at the temple :)
I am not certain, but I believe that in some countries, especially Europe and Scandinavia, you actually are able to make payments to payees who are not members. Some countries have not used checks for years.

This option is not available in the U.S. and Canada, however, at least so far. Maybe someday . . .
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:34 am
CalS201 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:49 am I'll just blame it on covid-brain and a long day at the temple :)
I am not certain, but I believe that in some countries, especially Europe and Scandinavia, you actually are able to make payments to payees who are not members. Some countries have not used checks for years.

This option is not available in the U.S. and Canada, however, at least so far. Maybe someday . . .
Yes we here in the UK can make EFT payments to non members. I think we did away with cheques 4 or 5 years ago, maybe longer!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”