Broadcasting Sound from Choir & Congregation

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
cyberrick1

Broadcasting Sound from Choir & Congregation

Post by cyberrick1 »

We are setting up PTZ cameras in out other meetinghouses now. We are using the FoMaKo HDMI PTZ Camera 20X Optical Zoom cameras. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RJ171R2?re ... b_ap_share
and we are using the comtech assistive listening devices for the sound. The sound comes through very clear that way and the video quality is excellent. The problem I have is we are getting feedback that those at
home can't hear the choir, organ, or congregation singing. It seems to come through in bursts of sound and very choppy. So we are looking in to setting up a mic of some sort by the camera to capture the ambient
noise from the choir and congregational singing to see if that helps.

Anyone, else have this problem and if so, how did you fix it. Your help will be very appreciated.

Also, just in case anyone is wondering. We checked with the FM group manager and he told us they were not allowed to install cameras in ward chapels, only the stake center. However, he said the handbook says
each ward is to broadcast the meetings and it is up to us to make that happen. So it's okay if we install a camera ourselves at our expense. The FM Group just can't be involved with the installation or expense.
nmecantwin73

Re: Broadcasting Sound from Choir & Congregation

Post by nmecantwin73 »

If you are using Zoom for your broadcasts, you may want to check Zoom's Audio settings on the broadcasting computer. Selecting 'Original Sound for Musicians' option should get rid of the choppy audio for the music, as mentioned in a previous thread. viewtopic.php?p=240804#p240804
brad_p

Re: Broadcasting Sound from Choir & Congregation

Post by brad_p »

cyberrick1 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:12 pmThe problem I have is we are getting feedback that those at
home can't hear the choir, organ, or congregation singing. It seems to come through in bursts of sound and very choppy. So we are looking in to setting up a mic of some sort by the camera to capture the ambient
noise from the choir and congregational singing to see if that helps
I went down several options before I found ones I liked.

If your mic will be near the laptop used for broadcasting, consider a USB condensor mic. A single cable will give you both power for the condensor and a sound input on your computer. Don't go cheap here, you'll regret it. A Yeti Blue is fine here. Find a way to put the mic high up in the air, either attached to a pole, or on a ledge, or something. You do not want the mic within 5 feet of people, otherwise, coughing, chatter, sneezing, etc., will ruin broadcasts and people will complain.

If your mic is far away and you have a straight XLR jack and wire on both ends with nothing in between, get a LCT-240-PRO Compact Condenser Microphone. We finally found a spot next to a flower pot up on the stand. On the other end, you'll need a small condenser power supply (perhaps a mixer). The reason this mic is great is that it doesn't need the full 48v phantom power typically required for condensor mics. It can work almost the same at 9v, and some of the cheaper power providers don't go up to 48v.

Avoid trying to get any kind of other directional mics or small mics meant to be attached to clothing. You want a condenser mic, you want it several feet away from the nearest person, you don't want to put it near the organ speakers, and you will need to mix both mics (pulpit and ambient noise) somehow, either through an actual mixer, or manually switching it on the computer.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”