2 accounts on Family Search

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
loree.johnson

2 accounts on Family Search

Post by loree.johnson »

I am not sure how I did it in the past, but I have 2 accounts on Family Search. The first one has my member number and the other does not. The problem I have is that the one that is not linked to my membership number has way more on the family tree. I would like to get that tree moved over to my account with my membership number. Any idea how to do that?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: 2 accounts on Family Search

Post by rmrichesjr »

loree.johnson wrote:I am not sure how I did it in the past, but I have 2 accounts on Family Search. The first one has my member number and the other does not. The problem I have is that the one that is not linked to my membership number has way more on the family tree. I would like to get that tree moved over to my account with my membership number. Any idea how to do that?
A search for "merge" in the LDS Account forum found some answers to the question:

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ge#p176870

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ge#p173659

https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ge#p173282

The bottom line is you need to ask your ward clerk to contact the Global Service Center and have them merge the accounts.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

loree.johnson wrote:I am not sure how I did it in the past, but I have 2 accounts on Family Search. The first one has my member number and the other does not. The problem I have is that the one that is not linked to my membership number has way more on the family tree. I would like to get that tree moved over to my account with my membership number. Any idea how to do that?
There is only one Family Tree on FamilySearch. So if you are seeing differences between the trees associated with two different accounts, then the only possible difference is in the living people in your tree and how they connect with deceased persons. Unless you have put a lot of effort into all sorts of living aunts and uncles and cousins, it shouldn't be that hard to sign into your preferred account and adjust a few living records for your parents and grandparents (perhaps great-grandparents if they are alive) so that they connect to each other and then to deceased persons the same way that your other account does. Then you'll see just as many people in that tree as you do in the other.
rmrichesjr wrote:The bottom line is you need to ask your ward clerk to contact the Global Service Center and have them merge the accounts.
That's certainly a good thing to do. But that step is not going to automatically merge the living people associated with two separate FamilySearch accounts. So it's important to do the steps I mentioned above BEFORE the LDS Accounts are merged; otherwise you might no longer be able to sign in using the deleted account on FamilySearch to update the tree on the surviving account.
Tjrwilliford

Post by Tjrwilliford »

I think I must have created two accounts in family search as I know I have considerable info in family search, but when I logged in today, I have nothing, but just myself in teh family tree. How can I find out?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I think I must have created two accounts in family search...
To be clear, are you saying that you have previously logged onto Family Search, and you previously were able to access your Family Tree and corresponding ancestor records? Or is this your first time in Family Search, and you are expecting to be connected to all the records that others in your extended family have already done genealogy for?

There's more to be said to help you out, but it's good to first make sure it's clear what your specific problem is.

Return to “Family History”