Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
BrianEdwards

Re: Tithing Directly to Church HQ

Post by BrianEdwards »

This might get corrected by somebody else on the Forum who knows better, but I'll share my understanding. There are two different aspects in play here: Method of making the donation, and recurring nature of the donation.

Donation Method
The Church FAQ on donations states that while making a donation via "Bill Pay" is allowed, "Online donations are the preferred electronic method for donating to the Church". This means that if you want to make an electronic donation, the Church would prefer that you use their online system available via your Church account, as opposed to using the Bank's system to initiate the donation payment.

Recurring Donations
The Church FAQ states that "Recurring donations are not allowed online". I am not certain if "online" here refers specifically to the online donations versus Bill Pay donations, or if it covers all electronic donations. I understand that there may be members who still have recurring donations being made, so I don't know if that's a legacy issue the Church is trying to slowly eliminate, or if members using Bill Pay are still able to take advantage of this feature.

I'd suggest talking with your Ward Clerk, and having him contact the Global Service Center with this specific question. They should know what current policy is, anyone here on the Forum might be out-of-date in what we suggest is or isn't possible.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote:The Church FAQ states that "Recurring donations are not allowed online". I am not certain if "online" here refers specifically to the online donations versus Bill Pay donations, or if it covers all electronic donations.
It refers to using the Donations page at the Church website. That page does not allow you to set up recurring contributions.

If you are using your bank Bill Pay system, the Church will accept contributions you send through that system as often as you send them. You can set up your bank Bill Pay for recurring donations if your bank system allows it.

The Church encourages the use of the online webpage. As far as I know, the Church has allowed those using their bank Bill Pay system to continue to do so.

I do not know if they will set up Bill Pay for a new contributor. Although you do most of the work with your bank, the Church still has to manually set up their system to receive the donations from the bank. If your clerk is not able to help you, you might send an email to onlinedonationsupport@churchofjesuschrist.org and let them know you wish to use your bank Bill Pay system.
gabs1182

Post by gabs1182 »

I am trying to set up recurrent payments. I know I can’t do it through the lds.org page, but is there another way of doing that? I used to be able to do this a couple of years ago and then it was discontinued.
I want to be diligent paying my family’s tithes, but it’s easy to forget when We get our paycheck through direct deposits.
caillines

Post by caillines »

You'll need to talk to your ward clerk about it. They can ask the service centre what the current process is.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

gabs1182 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:59 am I am trying to set up recurrent payments. I know I can’t do it through the lds.org page, but is there another way of doing that?
I would suggest that you look at my post immediately before yours. Although that post is nearly a year old, I do not believe anything has changed.

I have set a recurring reminder on my calendar. The online Donations page also allows you to use a previous donation again if there have not been any changes in the amount you wish to donate.
djtotten22

Post by djtotten22 »

orankohe wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:37 am I have a problem which is very concerning. Someone has set up an account in the same bank as me, who is taking money out regularly from my account using The name “Church of Jesus”. I have been to the bank and they say that is the Church that is deducting the funds because the Church has set it up that way so they can take out the funds to meet tithing correct payment.
1. Is that true and if so can you check it out for me.

[personal information removed]
I'm not sure what exactly has happened however I would like to add some information.
There is no way for the "church" to set up any form of payment out of your account without your personal information so this is quit a weird issue. However,
-your bank didn't hear ur concerns about the money being taken out of your account, it is IMHO that it's worth having a conversation again. Like someone else mentioned the bank should have your back and block any further withdraws from your account through the church account
-one thing your bank is supposed to do when having your back is to get your money back from whoever has been taken it out that shouldn't be doing it. There is a statement made by the church on the donatios page on the church website to the jist of if I there is a mistake with payments that they will fix the problem right away so letting the bank do its job and get ur money back especially since the church is so willing and wants your tithing donations to be collected correctly.
One more idea, you could talk to your ward clerk about your tithing record, he should be able to show you the contributions record for the ward. If the payments aren't on your ward record have him help you look up your church records 🌺
Good luck
samueltaylor88

Post by samueltaylor88 »

This seems to be the most current webpage with information on this topic. I use to use the tech wiki posted previously but that page appears to have been taken down, which is too bad because it had pertinent addresses and helpful instructions.

New church webpage:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/too ... s?lang=eng
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

samueltaylor88 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:24 pm This seems to be the most current webpage with information on this topic. I use to use the tech wiki posted previously but that page appears to have been taken down, which is too bad because it had pertinent addresses and helpful instructions.

New church webpage:
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/too ... s?lang=eng
Interesting, this has a good overview. It looks like some of the information is repeated on the page, though. :)
A couple of questions I had while reading the article, that I wish would be added, are whether the Church accepts cryptocurrency donations, and whether the person who donated can see donations directly to Church headquarters on the online donations tool.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:23 pm A couple of questions I had while reading the article, that I wish would be added, are whether the Church accepts cryptocurrency donations, and whether the person who donated can see donations directly to Church headquarters on the online donations tool.
I do not believe the Church accepts cryptocurrency, but I do not know for certain.

Donations that I make directly from my Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to Church headquarters (Qualified Charitable Distributions) do show up at the online donation tool under a link entitled Third-Party Donations. That link did not appear until my first QCD was recorded.

I do not know if a similar link appears after a member makes an in-kind donation, but I would not be surprised if it did.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:03 pm I do not know if a similar link appears after a member makes an in-kind donation, but I would not be surprised if it did.
It does for the stock donations I made a couple of years ago.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”