Kindoo Access Control System

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
bilges

Re: Kindoo Access Control System

Post by bilges »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 am
bilges wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:56 am @swigginton On our Kindoo system one door can be unlocked remotely. I'm assuming this means there is a device on the church building network that has Bluetooth capability.
I'm not sure that's a valid conclusion. It might be done over the internet via WiFi.
The Kin D devices use Bluetooth. Regardless, the assumption is valid that there is a network device (hardwired or WiFi but pretty sure it’s hardwired). I need to find that device. If anyone knows what it looks like I’d appreciate a description 😊
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

bilges wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:56 am @swigginton On our Kindoo system one door can be unlocked remotely. I'm assuming this means there is a device on the church building network that has Bluetooth capability. Do you know what that device is and what it looks like? I've been asked to power cycle one and and would LOVE to know what I'm looking for :D
Yes, there is an option to install a device called a "Kin Controller" at a location to remotely unlock a door. It is a Raspberry Pi that has been programmed with specific software from Kindoo, and has a unique ID. It is hardwired to the building network and transmits an encrypted Bluetooth signal to unlock a nearby Kindoo door. It sort of simulates using a mobile phone to unlock the door. For our FM group, only the FM manager and Kindoo installer have access to remotely unlock a door. The controller device itself is a Raspberry Pi in a CanaKit case. It will have a sticker on it, identifying it as a "Kin Controller", along with it's serial number. Just Google this and you'll see what it looks like:
CanaKit - Premium Case for Raspberry Pi 4 - Black
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

swigginton wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:29 pm
bilges wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:56 am @swigginton On our Kindoo system one door can be unlocked remotely. I'm assuming this means there is a device on the church building network that has Bluetooth capability. Do you know what that device is and what it looks like? I've been asked to power cycle one and and would LOVE to know what I'm looking for :D
Yes, there is an option to install a device called a "Kin Controller" at a location to remotely unlock a door. It is a Raspberry Pi that has been programmed with specific software from Kindoo, and has a unique ID. It is hardwired to the building network and transmits an encrypted Bluetooth signal to unlock a nearby Kindoo door. It sort of simulates using a mobile phone to unlock the door. For our FM group, only the FM manager and Kindoo installer have access to remotely unlock a door. The controller device itself is a Raspberry Pi in a CanaKit case. It will have a sticker on it, identifying it as a "Kin Controller", along with it's serial number. Just Google this and you'll see what it looks like:
CanaKit - Premium Case for Raspberry Pi 4 - Black
One more thing...in our case, most of the controllers are powered by a PoE splitter. Others are plugged into a nearby outlet. If it's PoE powered, you could reset it by unplugging from the switch instead of trying to track down the controller device.
bilges

Post by bilges »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:58 am
bilges wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:56 am @swigginton On our Kindoo system one door can be unlocked remotely. I'm assuming this means there is a device on the church building network that has Bluetooth capability.
I'm not sure that's a valid conclusion. It might be done over the internet via WiFi.
Found it. It was in ceiling. Raspberry Pi 4
https://vilros.com/products/vilros-rasp ... onnect-fan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ugh. Fan cooled and stuck in the ceiling. Not a good combination for longevity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Kindoo system in our building has the following components, that I have been able to find. Electronic door striker and controller that interfaces with a member's phone over Bluetooth. A second circuit board in an enclosure. In our case this was mounted in a furnace room. This device then has a network connection to the core switch to allow it to access the Internet.
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

dave.swartz wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:27 am Kindoo system in our building has the following components, that I have been able to find. Electronic door striker and controller that interfaces with a member's phone over Bluetooth. A second circuit board in an enclosure. In our case this was mounted in a furnace room. This device then has a network connection to the core switch to allow it to access the Internet.
The components needed for a Kindoo installation are:
  1. KIN-D device (a small module that receives the Bluetooth communication and controls the electric strike. Installed somewhere near the door. We've typically put them in foyer soffits or inside the door frame.
  2. Electric strike (can typically re-use existing strikes and wiring from previous electronic access systems)
  3. Power supply - 12/24VDC battery-backed up power supply to power the KIN-D devices and strikes. Typically centrally located in a mechanical room, etc.
  4. Cable (typically 4-wire) to route from the power supply to the KIN-D's.
  5. KIN Controller (optional) which allows those authorized to remotely unlock the door. Connected via Cat6 cable to the network switch and powered either by a plug-in USB-C power supply or PoE splitter. This is the Raspberry Pi device discussed earlier in this thread
bradleyturnerj

Post by bradleyturnerj »

For the individual talking with FM and the Kindoo CEO, it would be helpful if this app could enable other users 1x access rights. The use case is building cleaning (if ward members are coming to help earlier or later than the overall group) or building lock up.
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

bradleyturnerj wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:44 pm For the individual talking with FM and the Kindoo CEO, it would be helpful if this app could enable other users 1x access rights. The use case is building cleaning (if ward members are coming to help earlier or later than the overall group) or building lock up.
The Kindoo app has the ability to add "temporary" users. You add the user and set a date/time when the access expires. Seems like that could cover what you are requesting. We use it for family activities, wedding receptions and other one-time use situations.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”